balancing question

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by alex ryan, Jul 15, 2015.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hi,

I posted this in another thread, but then realised this is probably a better place for it. I'm looking for advice on lipo battery balance.

Ive got a couple of YKS 10000mAh 6s 25c batteries.

I'm using a Hyperion 720i duo3 charger.

When I charge my batteries the charger says the cells are all balanced within 0.03v and none of the cells exceed 4.2v.

However when I check them with a voltage meter the voltages have about a 0.08v variance and one cell is consistently charged to 4.23v.

Should I be worried about this? Should I be trusting what the charger is telling me or my cheap voltage meter/buzzer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also attached are a few photos of one of these batteries. It arrived in the mail with this damage to it.

- a dent on one corner
    - Two marks on one of the cells
    - a dent in the side

the dent in the corner is on cell six, which is the cell that is consistently reading 4.23v on the voltage meter.

I've put it through a few cycles now and according to the charger it is balanced and taking a full charge.

Would you be using this battery?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd be suspect. If there was a return policy I would get them exchanged. But usually the return policies are worth the electrons that painted the terms on your computer screen.

And an interesting design. The silver is the actual raw battery cell package. So you gave no overall protection for the pack like most batteries that are sold. So less resistance to any type of puncturing.

3. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

thanks for the advice. I thought that might be the response I get.

The batteries do hove clear heat shrunk plastic around them, so the cells aren't entirely exposed, but yeah I'm suspect too.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'd be inclined to trust/believe the Hyperion over a $3 LiPo checker. The LiPo checker would be pretty easy to check as to its accuracy if you have a good meter. As for the dings and dents, it's hard to say. Like Gary said, if you got it that way, it's a shipping problem or they're just not well QC'd. But you might be stuck with them if you got them from Very Far Away.

5. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Its funny because the company that I bought them off said they would exchange no problem after me testing them to see if they were working OK. I told them that a couple of the cells were dropping much faster than the others and that I did want to exchange them and since then I haven't heard back. I guess it was an empty offer and I'm stuck with them.

If you were flying with these batteries, what steps would you take to monitor their safety?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Alex pretty risky if you don't trust a battery to then fly it. If it fails Murphy's law would speculate that it will fail at the worst possible moment.

7. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Damn that murphy guy and his pessimism :)