/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing Pan Axis

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Sean Haverstock, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Sean Haverstock

So, I've watched the brief tutorial. So I draw an imaginary line through the middle of the connection point of the gimbal on the multirotor to visualize the balance point. I understand balancing the vertical COG by moving the gimbal fore and aft. But how do you balance side to side? In this case, when you rotate the gimbal 90 degrees and it doesn't hold position, how does one adjust? Tabb just mentions 'adjusting things on the gimbal.' I'm trying to visualize how you adjust things on the gimbal and not change the balance on the other axes.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sean also check the videos from QC on their YouTube channel. They have a couple that also explain balancing.

3. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Hang the gimbal with a string thru the center hole of the gimbal and balance it before mounting it below the Cinestar, that works better I think. Not to difficult or timeconsuming.

4. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Question, how would I balance the pan axis if I can move the gimbal more forward as it needs? It's back heavy but the center plates boom clamps are in the way of moving more forward. I'd need to move at least an inch? Thx

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason: Can you post an image of your gimbal, taken from the side, showing the camera and the gimbal please?
    I'm concerned a generic answer might not work for you -- but if you start by balancing the tilt axis, then the roll axis, you should find that balancing the pan axis is not that hard.

Also, what camera are you trying to balance?

Thanks
    Andy.

6. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

balancing an epic or c300 is fine its this feather weight of a 5D i'm having issues with. i could extent the side arms 1 inch which does the trick but find that a light camera like this with long arms gets excessive vibration (if you just tap the gimbal slightly the vibration transfers thru the carbon and shakes the camera). right now if i could just move the pan forward and in it would be fine but the center plate clamps are in the way.

thx, j

[​IMG]

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Do you have the gimbal Lipo on the rear leg? That might be part of the problem in that it's forcing you to have the gimbal down post way too far to the left (of the image). On my gimbal with the 5D, the downpost is in the mid-point between the centre assembly and the rear leg -- but I have the LiPo taped to the right hand side boom (as viewed from the rear of the gimbal) of the gimbal opposite the tilt Radian/servo -- that counterbalances it.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

8. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

The lipo is under the roll tube (you can see the end which is white). The leg rear leg only has the hdmi which weights nothing. Pretty much I have put as much weight as I can forward while keeping the camera near the pan tube (to reduce vibrations). It's no big deal since I hardly use the 5D, ill weight it or maybe cut the center boom clamp area and move close to center to gain an inch to move the pan tube more forward.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Jason: Just for comparative purposes here's how I have my 5D on the gimbal. (I just dashed into the studio to do this, so it's not optimally lit). I have metal boom clamps on all of the places where the booms could rotate.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

Gimbal with 5D 2013-08-28.jpg