/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balance one before the other?

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Matt O'Brien, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

Hi guys,

Just running the go pro first before I put on the real camera and I was wondering if there is a correct order to balance the axis? Example tilt before roll or roll before tilt? Just wondering if the is a better way or any tricks to the balancing madness with the belts off. Also it seems like go pros are not the easiest t balance but the best you can get them is okay because they are so light. I see the roll is ok but tilt could be better I think this is due to the slim design and incapability to spread weight evenly. Any thoughts?

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Yeah with a Gopro it won't matter too much because the servos aren't moving too much mass. Once you get in the DSLR range balance will be very important. Balance is an art of sorts and fairly time consuming. I just put on a 5D yesterday. It took me about an hr and all I had to do was a tilt balance adjustment.

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Tilt --> Roll---> Pan.
    It helps to keep an eye on the roll balance as you do the tilt, but inevitably you'll have to readjust a pervious axis.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with Tim. The reason I do it that way because it's in the increasing order of the amount of "mass in motion." OK, so you really didn't need to know that -- but that's why it's easier to use that sequence. Tilt is just tilt moving, roll interacts with tilt, and pan with both roll and tilt.

Andy.

Dave Hipkiss likes this.