/dist/images/branding/favicon

Bad Motors? Video inside

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Alex Fuller, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Yes sir props are off, those things are scary ;) 4S with BL 2.0, using a 6200 lipo as power supply right now for bench, 8000mah yesterday for flying/bench.

I am looking at your thread from a while ago regarding currents, Steve. I will have to look into that a little more, I'm wondering if i just fried the BL while testing yesterday? I did a motor test on each motor individually, and they ALL cut power after about 30 seconds of substantial power (140-160).

Have to go get a MicroSD card and then we'll see what it says! This is driving me nuts!

ALSO: Thank you everyone for the help, who knows how much more frustrating this would be without your thoughts!

2. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Upon start up, after the motors chirp, Motor 1 acted as if it about to power up for a split second. Weird.

Just checked my currents and they seem to be ok, a bit higher than your test Steve but they seem consistent. It was reading about 75-100 on the graph while I gave the TX just a bit more than 50% throttle.

I find it strange that the motors are not cutting off when I give power via the TX, however when I give it a motor test, they always fail, even at lower power (Was testing around 50 this time).

3. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Well, I figured out where the intermittent CH.5 problem was coming from, switched that off and am not getting random values anymore. The motors dont fail in motor test or with the TX now, I wonder if that was the issue. Temperatures seem ok, I will update soon after a test flight!

4. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Went on a test flight, looks like the EC5 connector on my copter is the problem (I hope!). Flew about 1.5 minutes with no payload and no issues, but kept it very close to the ground. Added the 5lb weight and a new battery, tried taking off about 2 inches off the ground and power cut off and my Graupner went ticking looking for the receiver. I walked over to copter, and it powered back up without me touching it. Upon close inspection, it seems the end with the EC5 connector is faulty, I would move it and power then cut on and off. The solder looks fine on the board, and I moved the cable around that end with no power loss. I'm guessing the vibration of higher throttles is what cause the power to cut off.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Either it's vibration or you have (in the electrical sense, not as now used in Washington and Colorado) a "dry joint" in the EC5 connector.

Andy.

6. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Yep. Turns out it was just a bad connector after all. Carbon buildup on the gold tips of the connector. Put a new one on last night and no issues. Woo hoo, glad it was a simple fix!

Jason Smoker likes this.
  7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Not to mention an inexpensive lesson. Those are rare in this field. :eek:

8. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Yes, I got lucky that I encountered this now and while I am testing/prepping for a month in South America! Lets just hope everything else functions properly, going to be visiting some great places and I can't wait to fly!

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Lucky you...can't wait to see what you capture!