/dist/images/branding/favicon

Autotune #'s

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Nicolas T, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I tried out the Autotune feature last night. It seems to work well. I did notice the numbers it came up with were much lower then the #'s I manually entered for the same configuration. I did set the autotune parameter at 70% but its not totally clear what this value is for.

2. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

I too arrived at auto-tune numbers that were much lower than manual. I'm also unclear what the 70% value is all about.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I haven't installed the update and have no inside knowledge as to how this function works. But my guess is that the software uses the MōVI's IMU to detect oscillations, and pushes the gains in the MōVI back and forth to try and attain a stable state. The full camera cage on the M5 is able to withstand more pushing in the tilt and roll axes without risking damaging the camera. Again, my intuition is that the parameter is analogous to "try this hard".

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The auto tune can be relatively conservative based on auto tune percentage. We've found 50% for M10s and 70% for M5s is a good starting point for those that may not be comfortable manually tuning.

5. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I guess it really comes down to when does one stop. When I was manually tuning I would do as the video Tabb posted suggested and do each axis, stopping when it started oscillating but found that once I picked it up and used it, I would get vibrations on certain axis so I would then proceed to lower those axis until I could move it through all orientations without it oscillating (which feels as vibrations, at least that's what i think).

My understanding is the higher the #'s the better the Movi will work and the more it will try to hold the camera in position. is this correct?

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Nicolas, most experienced users will still prefer to manually tune as you will know the point at which you are over-tuning each axis.

Higher #s are what keeps the MōVI more accurate and stabilized. Having said that, its not like the difference between 90 and 100 on pan, for example, is going to ruin your shot. On the flip side I have seen videos on Youtube and Vimeo where I can tell that the MōVI was never tuned and is running the stock shipping stiffnesses of 10,5,10. Running auto tune in this case would get them a much better setup with no knowledge of manual tuning.

7. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Well that makes sense. I'll continue using the higher #'s that were working for me, but if I have to do a new setup, I could start with AutoTune #'s and then increase them from there as I see fit. What does the % for that 50 or 70 indicate. Is there any reason to raise it higher then 70?

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

A higher percent will attempt to tune the MōVI to a higher stiffness setting. You can experiment by increasing this number and then running the auto tune function. At some point it will auto tune into oscillation. Id recommend using it as either a way to check your settings if your unsure or as you said auto tune then increase manually from there. The auto tune settings of 50%(M10) and 70%(M5) will get you a usable setup quickly and have you shooting with minimal fuss.

Matthew Macomber likes this.
  9. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

How to use this correctly?
    start-up put into majestic mode and then adjust the auto tune to your liking? is this the best way?

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

My auto tune numbers vs. the recommended starting numbers in the google spreadsheet
    MōVI M5
    Canon 5D Mark III
    Canon 17-40/4 (slightly lighter than the 16-35 in the google doc
    I stuck the handles on my MR-converted MōVI and hung it from the ceiling on a rope
    Took a couple minutes
    Seems to work nicely carrying it around. Haven't flown it.

Safari-snap001.jpg