/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anybody using the DJI A2 Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Shaun Stanton, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I noticed that DJI has released a new multi-rotor FC system. Looks similar to the WKM except it has two more PWM outputs for camera control not that I care since that is done on the radians. The WKM had camera control but only for Hexes using the PWM that would go to motors 7 and 8 for an Octo. The A2 looks like it has the camera control in addition to 8 dedicated PWMs for motor speed control.

Other than that there does not seem to be difference, Was curious if anyone insight. They claim that it is their most advanced autopilot. I have a second frame that I am building for a HL Coax and have decided to go the WKM route until the synapse comes in. But I noticed new autopilot on the DJI site.

http://www.dji.com/feature/a2-features/

2. Graydon Tranquilla

I hope to get the A2 as well....The A2 also has a 2.4Ghz fhss pwm receiver built-in which will apparently accommodate a significant range of existing 2.4Ghz Radio systems with and without s.bus. DJI abandoned the concept of utilizing the FC camera gimbal control on the A2 because BGCs require a dedicated IMU on the BG housing etc. When using the WKM in combination with a BGControlled camera, the RC system simply bypasses the WKM using a spare radio channel connected directly to the BGC.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I had an A2 in my hands the other day. It is very small. The case is a work of art. Now if it only will fly without going home to China un commanded and DJI starts doing even rudimentary support.

4. Graydon Tranquilla

Gary... Yes there is a significant history of issues possibly remaining to be resolved even with the A2. The concept of rigorous QA/QC is yet to be implemented as well as the Germans. And yet I have had well over 300 successful flights with NAZA and WKM by avoiding the bleeding edge on firmware updates etc. knock on wood.....

5. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Graydon, we too use the WKM platform. Its been great thus far... Minor GPS issue that was corrected by our dealer, biggest pain was the downtime in shipping our GPS unit back to DJI.

We're going to pass on the A2 and wait for the Freefly Synapse to be released.

6. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Once they get the bugs out DJI A2 looks like it will be an awesome controller. Unfortunately DJI thinks its a good idea market stuff that should still be in Beta and quite possibly Alpha to the market as a ready to fly unit. my friend bought one before knowing some of the issues.
    The good parts about it are that it supposed to have higher industry standard sensors so it will be more accurate. It is designed straight out of the box with no external dongles to link with Futaba FASST transmitters, and be able to plug in the JR/Spektrum Satellite recievers I think I supports Jeti also. Although it appears their interest was to fully support FASST technology and partially the others. In fact at the moment it only supports JR/Spektrum's older modulation DSM2 at 1020/22ms vs DSMX at 2040/11ms. They rae supposed to be remedying this in the near future. Not that I care I only have an 8 channel transmitter anyway that plan on replacing.

Having looked into the issue I too would like to get the Synapse, however its not out yet so I went with First Officer Wookong as my copilot on the current HL bird that I am building. As long as it does not crash a RED I will be happy.