/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anybody know what "mot off nofly" means

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jean Gabriel Taboada, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Jean Gabriel Taboada

reviewing my gpx files i see in some of them this "MOT OFF NOFLY" message for a second randomly in fcflags2, but the kopter flew perfectlly, so should i consider a software glitch? i took out the gimbal yesterday as soon as i got home after 8 flights to check everything "under the hood" since this is a new build and everything is as it should be.

Thanks for your time

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Motor Off, No Fly Probably means loss of power. Run the GPX file through MK GPXTool and you should be able to see the flags in the Virtual OSD window.

3. Jean Gabriel Taboada

i did review the gpx file, theres where i noticed the flag. everything seems fine, nothing out of the ordinary, the flag is very random. i will attach the gpx in a while

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you can tell me the values in hexadecimal (it will look like 0X** where ** are letters or numbers), I can look it up in the source code.

Andy.

5. Jean Gabriel Taboada

Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to look into this, and thank you for that wonderfull cinestar build guide, I bought my first cinestar rtf because i didnt know what i was getting into. just finished my second build using your dvd as a guide and i have to tell you, as of right now i am taking my rtf apart to put it back toghether the right way.

i attached am attaching the gpx file

Attached Files:

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jean just looked at the file. Are you sure this is the correct one? All I see is several Low Battery warnings towards the end of the flight.

7. Jean Gabriel Taboada

Hi,

i am using gpx-viewer2 v0.1, if you are not using the same one maybe it cant be seen, it shows up on column 445 and 473

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok. I'm not familiar with that particular tool. If you want to see better results with much more detail download the MK GPXTool HERE. Instructions are HERE.

That being said I do see that on those data lines that the FCFlags2 value reads 0x00,0x00. So it seems to have dropped the data point for that value on those two lines. The text for those is blank in MK GPXTool. There were no other errors so I'd just look at your logs going forward. May have been simply an electrical data gremlin anomaly...:(

9. Jean Gabriel Taboada

i suspect that my sd card is not clicking in securley on my nav board, do you think that maybe theres a dodgy contact point between the sd and the nav board thats can be causing this?

10. Jean Gabriel Taboada

another question, what does "no serial link" on the FCflags2 refer to?

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It means you don't have a serial link between the MK Boards and MK Tool. :)
    You can create this serial link either by USB cable (with the MK USB adapter), or using Xbee Wifi or MK Bluetooth.

Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry for coming to the party late.

Firstly, Jean -- thank you for your kind words. It is very gratifying to hear that the DVD helped you (and other folks).
    I'll have a look at the GPX file now, although, given that Squadron Leader Haynes has already looked I doubt I'll see anything different.

Andy

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I agree with Gary. I've checked both the actual GPX text file just using a text editor (see line 16508) and the FCFlags2 are shown as 0x00, 0x00. GPX Viewer which is interpreting the hex values 0x00, 0x00 as, (a) The motors are not running and (b) therefore the copter is not flying (a reasonable inference if you think about it). This interpretation is actually correct when both bytes are all zero.

The larger question is why is the MK firmware writing out zeros for the FC flags? (It also did that for row #1.)

I have looked at the NC board software, file gpx.c, and in lines 437-440, the logic is this:

1. Write the most recently FC2Flags received from the FC board out to the GPX file.
    2. Set the NC boards copy of the FC2Flags to zero (which is what we're seeing).

Another process should be running in real time (but asynchronously from the logic above) that receives updated FC flags from the FC board.
    What appears to be happening is that sometimes this process "misses the boat" -- the FC flags are being written (as zeros) to the GPX files when they're still set to zero from the previous write to the GPX file.

The logic above is designed to prevent writing "out of date" FC flags to the GPX files, but the logic fails if/when the NC board doesn't get a fresh update of the FC boards flags in time to write them out -- so it writes them out as zeros.

So the question now becomes: Why is the NC board not getting FC board status flags in time to write them out to the GPX file?
    And that, I don't know the answer to, so I have sent an email to Holger Buss.

Anyway, that's why you're seeing 0x00, 0x00 and weird status flags.

Aren't you glad you asked? :)

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

14. Jean Gabriel Taboada

very glad, thanks for your time, I'll be waiting for holger's response on this

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Holger emailed me back last night. He said that this should not happen -- and if it does, it suggests that there is a problem with the cabling between the NC and FC boards, so you might double check those ribbon cables. I'm a bit surprised that you'd not see I2C bus errors if the cabling was bad enough to delay data updates from the FC to the NC. The NC only writes out the trackpoint data once a second (at least that's the default that you will see in the SETTTINGS.INI file on the microSD card.

You might want to open the SETTINGS.INI file with a text editor and post the contents, please. It's just a plain text file.

Andy.

16. Jean Gabriel Taboada

ribbon cable seems fine, but im going to go ahead and change it anyways, you never know, heres me settings.ini file

KMLLOGGING = 500
    GPXLOGGING = 1000
    GPSAUTOCONFIG = 1

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Those entries look normal. It means that logging to the GPX file should happen once a second, but logging to the KML file should happen once every 500 milliseconds.

Not sure what else to suggest you check right now -- other than GPX files after each flight just to see if changing ribbon cables changes anything beyond giving you a warm fuzzy feeling! :)

Andy.

18. Jean Gabriel Taboada

im going to go ahead and change the ribbon, i will report back. thank you all for your time