/dist/images/branding/favicon

Any updates on the iOS app?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mike Staniforth, May 27, 2014.

1. Mike Staniforth

Mike Staniforth New Member

Does anybody know anymore about the iOS app? Is there a rough estimate on when we can expect the app?

2. frank mckeown

frank mckeown New Member

Good question. Personally I'd find it immensely useful.

3. Philip Aarseth

I second that.
    It's been a while since there's been an official post about it.

The last I saw was that they're waiting for approval from Apple, but it shouldn't normally take this long, right?

Does anybody know if it'll be available (when it comes to iOS) on iPhone as well as iPad?
    I think both will be very helpful indeed!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Philip Aarseth

Is there anything we can do to help?
    I mean other than try to be patient.

6. Anton Prock

Anton Prock New Member

Hello there!
    I am also waiting on the Iphone app. I dont want to buy an android just for the mövi ;)
    Do you have any news if there will be an app and in witch time? Thank you very much!

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

8. Anton Prock

Anton Prock New Member

Hi i did have you may a awnser for me now :)

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

As posted in #4 above there is no current release date.

10. Gary Hilgemann

Gary Hilgemann New Member

we created an apple certified hardware BT module that contains Europe (ETSI R&TTE), the United States US FCC-ID (CFR 47 part 15) as well Japan MIC and Canada (IC). we use long range 2.4 GHZ spectrum as well an own CPU for handling very complex bitstreams for realtime data transmission. Our BT hardware was used in very comon medical hardware, now we also released an app in apple itunes for alexmos gimbal control boards.

about movi iOS:
    does anyone knows if there is a open, public and legal serial communication protocol that allows controling the movi -and also allows developers to create third party apps?

how long is the range of a movi when you use an android device?

if this exists, we would like to buy an movi M5 to see if there is a chance to build an movi iOS control app.

before you asked, its possible to grab the serial communication form a movi, yes, but when the freelfy change something, even some bytes without that you know what these bytes are, then you have to "grab" the whole communication again. the other problem is, if there is no RX / TX serial interface on the movi, then you cant add easy the BT (bluetooth) module. is there such kind of port / connectors on the movi, or is it complete closed?

it only makes sense with a valid protocol specs. with a bunch of beta tester i think it´s possible to develop such kind of app in 2-3 weeks.

here is a small video that we record to demonstrate our current hardware and software app.

let me know if you have some infos about this.

cheers
    gary

ragi likes this.
  11. Anton Prock

Anton Prock New Member

Hello guys!

I know its not easy to make an Iphone IOS app...
    Can you give us an update for the IOS App?
    Will it be ready soon or will it take longer ( so i have to buy a android thing )

Thanks for your information!!
    have a nice weekend
    Tony

12. Gary Hilgemann

Hi,

some updates on this.

Thanks to this forum, we got a contact from a film company. They use several MöVi Gimbals for their productions. They ask us to develope some addOns.

They need to record and automate the Mövi Motor Movement of the three axis for their 3D After Effects production, a low latency HD full 1080p encoder for their iPad Monitoring, camera control for ISO values, hardware tiny follow focus control, everything controllable over an iOS app.

The follow focus part is the hardest one. I think we will use the Bartech controller in combination with some hedens motors where i saw that it´s possible to add serial communication over our BT Module in iOS. With controllers like the bar tech, we do not have stress with the complex auto motor calibration process.

I ordered before some days our first M5 and will see whats possible. I will send the freefly team an request to ask if we can get the serial communication specs or agreement for the serial movi communication protocol, without getting access to the MöVI Encoder values, i think we can´t record or automate the motor movement of their MöVI. The HD encoder is the easiest part, that´s our daily business.

We are no professional filmmakers, any feedbacks from the pro´s would be nice in return i will share all the results during the development.

So.."LET´S HACK LEGAL THE MöVI" :)

Discussions welcome.

cheers,
    gary

ragi likes this.
  13. Gary Hilgemann

i received a feedback from freefly where they told me that the serial protocol is proprietary and they have no plans to release the specs to the public. no access for third party developers.

it´s ok, their products, their rules...

i think the movi gives enough freedom to add all addons for have a stable none line of sight video system as well follow focus that i can control over and iOS or other external hardware.

our M5´s are on the way and i´m looking right now out of our office window for the UPS van :)

ragi likes this.
  14. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

Bummer.

Enjoy the M5 nonetheless!

ragi likes this.