/dist/images/branding/favicon

Any new Alta owners out there

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Gary, Andy, Finally back to this issue.

I'm still in the same spot.

I:
    • Disconnected the secondary RX
    • Verified I'm at 5
    • Using teeny-weeny voltage meter probes, confirmed the connector had line voltage
    BUT, I still have zeros for the external voltage.

Below are the shots that Gary requested.

ANY AND ALL IDEAS welcomed. I'm going to physically swap the RX's to see if the current primary is just not listening to the teeny-weeny connector.

Thanks
    Mike
    futshot1.jpg futshot2.jpg

p.s. sorry for the poor shot quality.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike I'm stumped. Your photos look fine. I won't be back home for a couple of weeks. Probably time for you to send a note to the support line.

Also can you shoot a photo of how you have the power cable hooked up?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And I'm out of town right now too, Mike -- but your idea to try the other Rx is a good one given that there is a valid voltage on the teensy-weensy (technical term) connector. This is not going to help you any, but this voltage telemetry worked first time for both Gary and me, so it leaves us a bit in the dark as to what to suggest as neither of us have any experience of the failure modes....

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Andy

4. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

I sent an email to support on this a few days ago. Nothing back yet. Plugged and unplugged the small plug but no joy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. This is starting to sound like a Futaba hardware/firmware problem, I'm afraid Mike.
    Can you get any other telemetry (e.g. Receiver battery voltage) to work -- as I mentioned I'm out on the road right now, so I don't have the wherewithal to try this myself -- and I didn't try it when I was back at my shop either (the main concern being flight battery voltage)....just trying to think of ways that we could prove that telemetry was working at all....

Andy.

6. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Just installed my 5.8ghz downlink. Did anyone else install theirs and there is play in it? Im going to go to the hobby store tomorrow and get M3x5 because the M3x8 are too long. It seems like FF have addressed this but not in the accessories bag yet. As the M3x8 screws are black and the ones holding my GPS unit are silver - Maybe they are using thinner carbon now??

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

George, assuming you are talking about the mounting plate for the TX? If so mine is mounted and there was no play.

8. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Yeah thats what im talking about, got M3x6 screws from the hobby store. now its perfect, must be recent orders

9. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

FINALLY, in my never ending game of workbench whack-a-mole, here is the resolution for the Futaba telemetry issue.

From Adam at freefly:
    The R7008SB receiver that is connected to the voltage telemetry lead must be connected to the first link position in the radio. I recommend starting from scratch and unplugging both receivers from power. Then enter the system menu on the 14SG and start the linking process for the left side in the menu. Within a few seconds, provide power to the first receiver, (the one with the telemetry). It will confirm when the light on the receiver turns green and you have a link number on the screen of the 14SG. Next, start the link process for the right side in the menu and then provide power to the additional receiver. Each receiver should have its own unique ID number on the 14SG screen. If they don't, please start the process over and only provide power to one receiver at a time. You should have a USB cable that has a Futaba plug on the other end. This can be used to power the receiver up conveniently with any available USB power source.

If this does not solve your issue please let me know and we can move on to an additional step.​

Now, it took a few iterations of cycling the radios to get both ID's in the correct locations, (I needed to set it back to single mode to lose one of the radios completely) but when it was done - Viola. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right initial - crippling odds for me.

SO, if you are still having issues, please perform the V5 setup described above, and follow Adam's advice.

Dave King likes this.
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Doh! I should have thought to tell you this -- yes, the primary radio on the ALTA needs to be bound to the first position. Sorry Mike, it was just one of those things that I did without thinking about it and unwittingly got right more by luck than judgement....

I installed the primary radio and bound it just to test things out -- then when that was working I installed the secondary radio. It never occurred to me that if you were to reverse the sequence then the telemetry would not work. I sit corrected.

Thanks for posting this.
    Andy

11. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

12. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

and here's the question. Sorry about that slip of the mouse.
    I am having no luck getting the OSD to display. I tried your suggestion. I played with the border settings in the app and the monitor I am using and I still have no OSD. The video downlink is working fine, just no OSD. Any clues as to what might be going wrong? I am using an immersionrc system, that FF says is compatible with the ALTA. I contacted support and they said to play with the border settings and wait for 90 secs as the OSD is the last thing to boot up. I have tried all of the above and still no joy.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Alex try this (hope I get this correct from memory).

1. Power up the Alta so you can see the screen.
    2. In the App turn off the OSD.
    3. Power down the Alta.
    4. Power it back up.
    5. In the App turn the OSD on.
    6. Power down the Alta.

Now when you power up the OSD should start up. I ran into this same thing early on. Something about turning the OSD on and off is wonky. Hope my memory hasn't failed :)

14. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Thanks Gary,

I gave this a go, but still no luck :(

I'm hoping someone sees this and can tell me what's up.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Alex contact the support team. I might have the sequence out of sync on how I got mine working.