/dist/images/branding/favicon

Any advice for a FLYING FROG willing to pay top dollar for extra ketchup!

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Alan Nogues, Jan 30, 2013.

1. David Kellermann

Hi Alan,
    I was in the same situation as you two months ago. People on other forums mainly told me to forget about it and so on... Luckily I found this forum. There's a thread about the items I used for my Cinestar 8 (Hoverfly, which ESCs and motors etc). My Cinestar is flying, but I have to figure out now the best settings for the gimbal.
    Also Freefly is introducing their own flight controller and ESCs. You might want to contact them and ask when they will be available.
    Cheers
    David

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Et pourquoi pas? Tout le monde devrait parler français, non? :)
    Et c'est un Anglais qui le dit!
    Malheureusement, il ya bien des années depuis que j'ai vécu à Ferney-Voltaire et Gex.
    Andy.

3. Alan Nogues

Alan Nogues New Member

Hey David, thanks for your feedback. How do you rate your personal investment in building CS8, in terms of hours per day, or days per months? And what is your opinion about the quality of the shots you are making now?

Andy, enfin quelque chose de censé! evidemment que c'est une honte que le francais ne soit pas LA langue officielle, on peut continuer a parler francais tu as raison, changeons d'ailleurs de sujet et parlons de la meilleure facon d'accompagner les cuisses de grenouilles, j'en suis sur que ca plaira au reste du forum... Just kidding. Please ignore this out of topic silly french discussion. Frogs are best eaten with ketchup!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Alan, mais j'aime les cuisses de grenouille et, dans ma jeunesse, les cuisses légères .... ;) ;)

Andy.

5. Alan Nogues

Alan Nogues New Member

Oh shit this thread has gone out of control! Should rename it : any advice for a FLYING FROG willing to pay top dollar for extra ketchup!

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nicely put. Check the thread name. :)
    Andy.

7. Alan Nogues

Alan Nogues New Member

Thanks Andy, that's all I wanted it's brilliant! Can"t wait for new advices... Don't be afraid guys, come on. I surely need help. Tricky situation : I got a leg and a hip, weighting 200g, how long does it take to make it fly WiTHOuT ketchup and batteries?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You certainly win a prize for the most surreal thread name, Alan. Magritte would be proud of you.

Andy

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Somebody has been picking wild mushrooms again, I'm afraid.

10. David Kellermann

I spent roughly two weeks doing research before purchasing (one of those weeks to decide which ESC, since people have completely different opinions on them). Then just a few days to assemble it (a friend was doing most of the work, and he has some experience with smaller copters). I will take it all apart in March, when I received some additional parts, and assemble it in a different way based on the experience I got while assembling it in the first place. Also you have to spend some days making custom parts: In my thread, you find pictures of my DIY power distribution (added plastic spray to isolate it). Right now I'm milling a plate for the Graupner GR24 and the HoverflyPro board which will be screwed under the battery plate.

The shots I made until now are not usable (again see new posts in my thread). Biggest problem is the vibration between the frame and the gimbal. I'm confident that I will find the problems soon, but it takes time. So I would probably calculate 3x two weeks to make it really work, with breaks in between to wait for new items which you had to order (there's always something missing).

Cheers
    David

11. Alan Nogues

Alan Nogues New Member

Thanks Andy,

If Magritte was a RC flyer, he would be high enough to see that I am not going to solve my problems in speaking french :)

I guess, when I look at all the stuff in the RTF kit I plan to buy, it's tempting to customize to suit your very needs in buying other items and other components in genral, nevertheless, I will believe in RTF solutions as a model I can follow. David, thanks for your feeback, i read your thread. Your experience is very intersting, cause it showed me how personnal a model can be, but I am afraid that I don't want to go in this way, cause speaking with my RTF reseller made me believe their model is perfect for the kind of job I am planning to make. I know Frenchs are faithful, and I am hoping I can build the same way they can, they told me I can, even if it's a bit of dream? What do you guys think? If I got probelms with gimbal balance, i anyway go for the training and fine tune with them form there

12. Steve Price

Steve Price New Member

Hi Alan,

I'm sort of a silent member on this and other forums. I just wanted to chime in for what it's worth.

The building of the machine on your own will give you valuable knowledge of how to fix things when they break, or when you might break them. I've built and flown RC Helicopters (pod and boom and multirotor) for many years. We all crash at some point. I recommend highly the team of professionals Quadrocopter US, they have been a tremendous help to me and like I said, I have lots of experience and still need help from time to time.

One thing I would stress to you, is flight training and practice in real conditions. Flight simulators are a great help, but the reactions and muscle memory you need to develop will only come from hours on the sticks. Trust me you will get into a situation when you will lose your orientation of the craft for a moment, and flight time will help you recover when this happens, and it will happen. I recommend practicing on an inexpensive quad rotor, in real conditions with some wind and visual distractions. You will be glad you took the time.

Cheers
    Steve

Dean Roczen likes this.
  13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What Steve Price says makes a lot of sense, Alan.

Speaking as a dual citizen, USA/UK, I've not lost the British desire to compromise. So I bought two Cinestar 8's. One I built as a kit (which provoked me to create the DVD set "A Rather Good Guide to Buiding a Cinestar 6 or 8" when I discovered the alleged "documentation"), and the other as an RTF. I built the kit before I went over to pick up the RTF. Thus, as Steve says, I got the inner system knowledge about how everything was put together by building the kit -- and also got the benefit of being able to maintain every aspect of the RTF.

That also gave me a backup machine that I can also use as a reference for when things go awry with the RTF -- I can compare its behavior with the kit and vice versa. And I have a backup machine for those repeated occasions when I do something silly again with the RTF.

Clearly this is the expensive way to go, but when one puts a value on one's time, spending too much time adjusting/tweaking/futzing with the aircraft can be extremely expensive (and it ages one prematurely) -- especially when the goal is to fly the bird and take images, not adjust/tweak/futz -- those activities are part of the journey. I'm in it for the destination: imagery!

I'm not specifically urging that anyone go out and get a second machine (although Adam and Tabb would be deliriously happy if you did), but I'm simply sharing what I did and why I did it.

I also paid my debt to society and "did time" on AeroSimRC (I still do, when the weather is crap in Oregon -- for which read most of the last four months), and I have a Blade mQX. Well, tell a lie. I have two Blade mQXs. Prime and backup. :) As SteveP also says, flight time and muscle memory (aka automaticity) are what it's all about.

Andy.

14. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hi Alan,
    I would do everything Dave King mentioned, as I too am rather new to this. This forum is an invaluable resource (best one I've come across) and Andy, Steve and other members have great advise and answers to the common and the uncommon questions with experience backing up their input. As far as purchasing a second less expensive drone? Well...that was my thought process as well, and I did...DJI NAZA F450 build kit. And it's not a waste of $$$...put a gimbal under it and now you have a smaller second ship!
    The simulator and Blade mQX are great, but a mid size drone will really get you familiar with real flying as well as getting used to what that heart pounding, tingly, numbing rush of an "OOOHHHHHH SH#T" situation feels like when your copter just plummets 100 feet to the ground for reasons you can't fathom! ($150 to fix. If this were my CS8, I would have stroked out on the spot!)

A before and after pic for your enjoyment. It's OK to laugh...I did! It's not a matter of IF you'll crash, but rather WHEN! :eek:

Attached Files:

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Chris: Now that's what I call a BTJ. Biscuit Tin Job.
    All the pieces will now fit into a biscuit tin.
    Sad to see. I'm not laughing. It must have been painful to experience.

Andy.

16. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

LMAO Andy...all the pieces actually fit in my coat pockets! I knew that a "crash day" was inevitable...we all have them. But when I walked upon the 15 foot circumference of debris, I couldn't help but chuckle a bit...(but yeah...it was a bummer. I'm borderline OCD/anal with everything I own...spotless)
    Get back on the bike and keep riding!

17. Alan Nogues

Alan Nogues New Member

Steve thanks for sharing your experience, it's surely a good way to go with Quadrocopter, as they seem to have a solid background, but I am nowhere near the US, and I guess being close to your supplier is also important. As for practicing I thank you ! the subtle thing in between flying a small quad and cinestar 8 is probably an important gap. I will take that in consideration.

Chris, thanks to you too, pictures did really made me laugh, but in a sense not really, i feel less virgin after that...

Andy, thanks also for your extra imput, I know that you got here the best option ! Not sure though for me, seems a bit too pricey, but surely the very best way to learn and being somewhat safe. thanks guys, I 'll be ready very soon to buy and build.