/dist/images/branding/favicon

Another Servos Smokes!

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Tony Larkin, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Guys, I am running the 2 axis gimbal on my CS6. Only actually used the gimbal twice and both times the roll servo has smoked itself! Both times the CS6 was on the ground and I am guessing that the ground clearance is so little that if you don't land on perfectly level ground then there is a chance the gimbal is trying to do some compensation but can't move and therefore smokes the servo? Very frustrating, it was only on the ground for less than a minute in between shots and it seemed pointless switching the rig off. Should I be looking at extended legs for the frame or perhaps some of those wheels that i see some of you guys using? Or am I just doing it wrong?

PS. The first time this happened, no camera was mounted. Today I was shooting with the 5D MKII.

Tony

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tony check the voltage going to the servos. Target is 5v, max is 6v.

3. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Gary,

Yeh, I've seen this issue being discussed. Checked with a volt meter and i'm reading 6.04?!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I also learned the hard (arborial) way that you really need to be able to disable the drive to the servos before landing (or crashing into a tree! :( ).

There's just a small printed circuit board in the servo that smokes, but, as far as I am aware, no replacements boards are available.

Andy.

5. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Andy,

Yeh, I opened the original and have seen the board. Looks like the chip that has burnt out? Wonder if there's a replacement for that!

So, just to put things into perspective, is this an issue with all servos or just the freefly ones? and would longer legs on the frame be an answer perhaps? and what about those foam wheels i keep seeing people using?

Sorry to hear about the tree, I sense you're very bitter about it!:(

Just a final image for you. I'm sat here in Lancashire, it's 30+ degrees and almost too hot to work for us as we have little experience of these working conditions!!:) anyway, it's forecast thunder and heavy rain for tomorrow:(

Tony.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Not to my knowledge -- but let me if you find one, please.

To my knowledge, all of them can be burned out if you try hard enough! :(

They might help, but you're still putting them at risk if you have energized servos and they can be physically blocked.

Not really. All part of the learning process -- and crashing into trees is a hell of a lot less expensive that crashing into hard crunchy things like, say, oh, The Ground. :) But energized servos on a copter in a tree make this 'orrible whining sound, I can tell you that, lad...

OMG....or as I grew up hearing, "Well, we gu t'top t'stairs..." (Never quite understood why that was used to express surprise...)

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I would also see about lowering the voltage. I fly off of grass a fair amount and with my 2 axis and leg extenders still sometimes have the bottom of the gimbal in the grass but haven't had any bad results. Likely it is more of a voltage issue.

8. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Thanks Guys,

What about the Radians? Can i simply swap my 6V regulator that feeds the gimbal for a 5V?

Tony

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Radians are fine at 5v.

10. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Guys,

Following my posts about voltage reg. Can I swap my 6v/5a lipo regulator for a 5v/5a ubec? It's to power the gimbal servos and radians.

Tony