/dist/images/branding/favicon

Altitude hold calibration?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Steve Maller, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I finally got back in the air today (bloody horrible weather down here lately!), and I tried out the GPS functions for the first time (see my other thread for a cool Google Earth 3D track!).

Position Hold worked as expected, as did Altitude Hold (sort of). By sort of, I mean that I was able to inch up and down with AH on, but the default throttle position (my spring is still on) in the middle cause my bird to climb. There was a position at maybe 10-15% down that caused it to park, but obviously that defeats the purpose.

How do I calibrate the AH to be dead center on my throttle stick?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Steve:
    Do you have Vario Altitude Control on? (See Altitude window in MK Tool).

If you have Vario control on, what that means is that FC board will hover at whatever throttle setting you have when you turn it on (the source code I looked at shows that it tweaks the throttle up and down until it sees a constant altitude from the pressure sensor). From then on, while you have AH on, the throttle works only as a "change altitude" control.

From what you say, I suspect, you don't have Vario Altitude Control turned on.

I've never flown with the Throttle spring still installed -- there's something that seems to be intuitively dangerous in doing that, but I'll defer to other folks to comment on that. I'll leave it to your discretion (or intestinal fortitude) as to whether you want to leave the throttle spring installed....
    Andy.

3. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Hi Steve like ANdy says but also make sure that the center stick position is on 127.
    See photo is under easy setup.
    I hope this helps.
    Bill Image11.jpg

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I have issues with mine too... when I flip on AH my copter climbs at almost full throttle! I need to play with the numbers as well to see what works best. :D

Josh

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh:
    Do you have a GPX and KML file on the NC microSD card by chance? I'd like to have a look at it.
    Usually the "climb at full throttle" means that there's an issue with the pressure sensor. The source code that I looked at in for FC board shows that it increases/decreases the throttle to figure out how to hold the altitude steady -- if it's getting bogus readings from the pressure sensor that might well cause the anti-gravity effect you're seeing...

Andy.