/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA's Grounded - Critical Issue - please read

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Sam Collins

Sam Collins New Member

Hi Markku, firstly I am a fan of freely and I let my money do the talking. But to your point, We have over half a dozen Drones in our Fleet. We Only have 2 though capable of lifting an Arri mini on an m15,So I can't turn up on set with just 1.Hence the M15 is grounded. And as an aerial business we have a K1 shot over and an F1 shot over as well as a GSS and cineflex , and the Drones.

2. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

i have to say some last words here because of that stupid "blame blabla".

1. i LOVE freefly products and use them since early 2012. i simply bought nearly every product from freefly
    2. i LOVE working with pros and Tabb is one really smart guy and i don't hesitate to praise the product here in the forum and in mails with him.
    3. in a business partnership it is necessary that one can speak about positive AND negative things. If not, freefly will not become better and still there is a lot to learn for them. I am sure, Tabb and the team learned a lot out of this situation. If we users won't tell, than nothing will change.
    4. it really doesn't matter if one can backup a month without a machine for wich he paid 10000 EUR for. backups are for problems while on set. i had many parts for my cinestars (motors, second WKM, props, etc) to work with them. ALTA is another story. It is sold as the world first hard road tested and RTF machine. There is no part i can take with me. even no props. So the only backup is another ALTA and this would help me what? let's think.... oh: nothing :)
    There are things i can do with the ALTA that no other machine can do. i told my customers that i have the machine and now i have to tell, that they can't get their pictures. and it is not my fault. i paid right in time and waited and trusted. so easy.
    5. i am in product development since a long time and old enough to know, that the failure lies back in developing the ALTA. Now that the problem is here, it has to be solved.
    6. i know, that freefly is in BIG trouble now but hey: not only freefly is in trouble... it doesn't make my trouble easier if i know that others are in trouble too.
    7. the communication about this problem and to call back all machines was right and i am really happy about this. nobody need to tell me about the problems with dji and others. i am in this business since 5 years and i can write books.

and the last point written as a professional in product developing and selling:

8. ALTA needs a service plan like a car. And therefore freefly needs service points to do that. Every part of this bird has to be checked in a given period of time or uses. service time can be planned by customers and can be made within few days at a service point (like "thor video" or "avt plus" in Germany or other dealers around europe). technicians need to be trained from freefly.
    i worked for the europe distrubutor of a US power amplifier (for professional PA). We did the whole service for the amps in Germany. customers got their amp back in few days. garanty stuff was made by us and the US company paid the work and parts.
    if you deliver parts for professionalls you have to work like that. This is the reason why such a product can cost much more than a consumer product like all the dji stuff.

i love the ALTA and i wish freefly all the best with this product. i still hope for a faster solution for customers out of US.

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Has anyone received word that their ALTA has been fixed and is on it's way back to them? They received mine on Tuesday. I know they said 7-10 business day's but wasn't sure if any have been completed that may have been in before mine.

Also do you know if they are doing the other SB fixes if we haven't done them ourselves yet? Thanks!

Josh

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Mine has been received up there, too. I asked about an ETA and Support said they couldn't tell me for sure yet.
    I was told that any SBs that haven't been applied could be done whilst your ALTA is there. Not sure if that's automatic, but I asked that mine could be done and they said they'd make a note of it and do those fixes, too.

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I just received an email from Denise saying our ALTA is fixed and has a shipping label on it. It will go out either today or tomorrow. They also made all the other SB fixes for me.

Can't wait to have it back!

Josh

Dave King and Steve Maller like this.
  6. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Thats good news Josh.

Ours was received on Thursday.

Hopefully, we get a fast turnaround also.

7. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

How many days was it there for?

8. Humberto Barchini

Ups! New advisory...

Attached Files:

9. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hmmm, I just received an email from freely saying my ALTA has been repaired and will ship today, but did not get this info. Does anyone know if this has been addressed, or if it still applies to repaired ALTAs?

10. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Here's my timeline FWIW (so Far) .
    • Sent to FF on Thurs. 10/1
    • Received by FF on Wed. 10/7
    • Update completed Mon. 10/12 (2.5 business days after receipt)
    • Shipped back to me Tues. 10/13

Not bad. Wished it wasn't ground though. Takes ages from Boston.

-m

Mike,

Your ALTA has been updated and is ready to ship.

Your tracking number will be active later today or tomorrow:

As a part of the service bulletin, we test each ALTA before it is boxed up for shipping. In order to run our testing procedures, we set everything on the ALTA to default values. Any changes you may have made to tuning, mapping, etc, were not able to be saved and should be reconfigured by you before you fly your ALTA.

Thank you,
    Bryan
    Technical Support Engineer​

11. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Also, I was under the impression that GPS was not used in height mode?

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

GPS helps with height control accuracy. Since the notice mentions a firmware update doubt that it was released while early Alta's were back for repair.

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Sent my ALTA back 10/5 (Monday). Received by Freefly on 10/7 (Wednesday). Got notice today that it's done and off to Fedex today (10/12). Should be back to me Wednesday (10/14).
    Thanks, Freefly! :)

14. Hey Ryan - For all Service Bulletins, we send notification to customers who purchased directly. We also send the same notifications to our Dealers so that they can alert their customers. If you have not received the Service Bulletin by now, please check with the dealer you purchased it from to ensure they have your correct contact information on file. With regards to the details of the GPS Height Service Bulletin, the actions noted in the bulletin do need to be taken until we release firmware update.

Denise

15. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Just an update on my timeline and I am from New Zealand so news for the international customers. Mine got there on a Thursday and left there the Monday.

Pretty damn good service I thought, I paid extra to speed up the shipping process on the return leg as needed it for a booking.

16. Humberto Barchini

Update on mine!!!! Arrived on Friday from Paraguay... Shipment notification received today!!!! My baby is coming home again!!!!
    Thanks FF that was fast!!!!!

17. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Giving us eta of 7-10 days and doing it in 3 = customer satisfaction. Under promise and over deliver!

Thanks again guys

Steve Maller and MIke Magee like this.
  18. Ben Ruffell

Ours just came back. About three weeks in total from New Zealand.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben:
    Did you have to pay a second round of duty on does Customs understand "being sent away for repairs?"

Andy.

20. Ben Ruffell

No payment from me. Freefly covered it all.

(Which was very appreciated).