/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta, position hold and Northern Lights

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Eirik Nicolai Heim, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Hi.

Just curious if anyone have any experience with flying a drone with gps when it is northern lights?
    Trying to fly as much as possible in manual, but I have a upcoming job that can require position hold when filming northern lights.

I guess there could be problems if it is strong solar activity, but that is should be OK when it is not that strong or? Guessing..

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You bet the aurora affects the GPS -- the aurora is a visual manifestation of a coronal mass ejection.
    Do a Google search with the search term: aurora gps

See for example: http://www.wyff4.com/news/major-solar-storm-hits-earth-may-affect-power-grids-gps/31849062

There are quite a few other articles explaining the issue. I suspect you will see a lot of "toilet-bowling" (where the aircraft will fly in small circles).

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV, sRPA, Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA) : Trees = 2, Ground = 1 Props = 11. :(

3. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Yeah, I have seen something about it yes earlier as well. But that example is " A MAJOR SOLAR STORM - Could POTENIALLY affect the GPS.." I wonder in regular conditions? Planes are flying and so on.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If the KpIndex is less than four, you should be ok. See e.g. http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-school/all-about-the-kp-index/ .

Andy
    ---
    Forensic Software & sUAV, sRPA, Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA) : Trees = 2, Ground = 1 Props = 11. :(

5. Eirik Nicolai Heim