/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA MOTOR TEMP ISSUES

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by JASPER GLAVANICS, Feb 12, 2016.

1. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hi all,

Just wanted to start a thread on these new developments in motor temperatures. Also this new update that makes the Alta flash emergency red indicating that a motor has reached 70deg, and it is advisable to land immediately and wait for the motors to cool down.
    This is all great, but when I am running my bare bones Red Dragon, with Canon 16-35mm lens and M15, all powered by one 4000mah, 4s battery, MTOW of around 13.2 - 3kg, flying at 27deg ambient temp, then this becomes a bit more of an issue. Yesterday I was doing a normal flight test routine, flying regular " on set requested" flight paths, and one of my motors before even mid flight was reading 73deg.
    Now freefly got back to me and said this seems normal, and a firmware fix will be on its way to operate temps above 70deg.
    This is not very comforting however when one has 100K worth of gear in the air.

Please see attached screenshots of my flight data and if someone else can shed light on their own experiences with flying the Red and their own data, and what is normal and what should be a concern.

IMG_4650.PNG IMG_4652.PNG IMG_4653.PNG IMG_4655.PNG

Attached Files:

2. Humberto Barchini

Same here... Alta with RED Epic... 32 Celsius... 250 feet sea level... 12.3 Kg... motors reach 75 at no time... but... I have not upgraded yet... now I buy 6S 6.200 mHa Tattu bat almost 1 kg less I will try if, with that weight I can maintain the temp below 70...
    Just a quick note... I have in my records that with some flights with the MOVI5 and Sony AS7II at night with 38 Celsius my Alta esc go 73 celsius.... way too low is the temp limit...

3. alexandre ermel

Alta, red dragon, canon ef 24mmI , 12,9 kilos. são paulo sp brasil.

Attached Files:

4. JASPER GLAVANICS

So you are getting into the 90's with one of your motors? How did the machine respond to this?

5. alexandre ermel

looks like normal but the graphics show not.

6. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

Hm - but the SB is about ESC temperature not motor temp or didn't i get it right?
    BL motors can handle 70 degrees C with ease...

7. alexandre ermel

alta performance in that chart

8. alexandre ermel

Now with the new 3.5.1 is just impossible fly red's and arri mini.

Attached Files:

9. alexandre ermel

2.260, light setup considering lenses and one motor focus comand.
    not able to fly with no motor temp inssue!

Attached Files:

10. alexandre ermel

what camera package freely is considering using with original freely batteries, movi m15, video link connex, with no motor issue?
    this pict attach with no camera is about 10,4 kilos

Attached Files:

11. Rolf Ableiter

that's crazy..
    my weight is about 11,5kg - 12kg with Sony FS5 and Zeiss 16-35 and the motors are just handwarm after flying. 10 minutes and more.

12. Thijm le Grand

Could it be that people who report high temps are on 4s !?

13. alexandre ermel

the thing is with my pay load iam able to fly acording aircraft manual only at sea leavel 0c celsios.

freefly i want to fly my alexa mini setup as promises in your adverteising, iam not asking much, regular conditions temp and altitude.

with only 2.260 kilo camera!!!! please give us one reply in this forum

Leo Bund and JASPER GLAVANICS like this.
  14. alexandre ermel

and all basic setup no custom itens

Attached Files:

15. JASPER GLAVANICS

If anyone out there is able to get a setup LESS than 13.2kg flying their Red Dragon, lens package, 2 x 10A lipos, whatever battery system they are using to power their components and an HD downlink, then please post your setups and pictures, so that others like myself can understand how you are achieving this. Also post the ambient temperature and height above sea level.
    Because as Freefly advertised in the beginning, one can fly a Red Dragon with a CP2 lens for 12 mins. I don't even need lens control, all I want is to safely fly my setup for the flight times I have been getting, which is around 9-10 mins. Landing at 21.7v
    I know they are working on a firmware update to tackle the temps restrictions, but will this change the allowance for payload?

So at this stage I'm not going to update the Alta to the latest firmware. Machine will be grounded until a solution can be found.

16. Thijm le Grand

Thats clear!!

17. alexandre ermel

iam not able to fly eve this very light setup!

Attached Files:

18. Rolf Ableiter

i do not fly at the moment and cannot check the temperature of my system.
    But the service bulletin is about ESC temperature not about motor temperature. these are two different things...

19. alexandre ermel

what is the correct graphic to wacth? please freefly can you help us around this forum, this is a very important matter since almost put again every alta on the floor. please guys everyone bought to use reds and arris not only light cameras, please dont do this with us , as custumers we trust in what you sell and adverteinsing for the inteire last year. please dont leve us alone

20. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hey guys,
    I have not received the service bulletin. Where can I find it? Or can someone post here?
    Thank you