/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA in Nebraska

Discussion in 'ALTA Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Tim Sessler, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Last weekend I had a travel day in-between a shoot in Nebraska and Kansas - and instead of flying or taking the train, I decided to rent a car, take some detours and explore Nebraska.

Here are some super random visuals from out there - all shot in majestic handheld mode on the ALTA and M15 with Sony A7s ii and Leica R 35mm and 80mm Summilux lenses.

2. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

Tim

It was good to meet you last week. It seems you found a couple of interesting places to shoot on your way to KC. The A7S ii sure looks the business.

Mark

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Gorgeous, as usual.

4. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Hi Tim , I was wondering what lenses you use with the a7sll?

5. Tim Sessler

Great meeting you, Mark! What a small world :)

The A7s ii is fantastic. If only it wouldnt have the banding issue (no issues in the footage that I shot - from what I can see) it would be a nearly perfect tiny camera!

6. Tim Sessler

Hi Jason - as mentioned in the description I am using two Leica R lenses - the Summilux 35mm 1.4 and the 80mm 1.4.

Cheers!

7. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Great stuff Tim thanks for sharing.
    How did you achieve that reflection effect on the edges of the frame? It made it super scary when you flew between those two trees. It gave the impression the trees were closing in way to close.

8. Tim Sessler

Thanks Alex! I had two prisms mounted in front of the lens - similar to this set-up (just a second prism instead of the diopter)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/9L_DbTBXg0/

Cheers!

alex ryan likes this.
  9. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Cool, it works a treat. Also interested to know if you applied any post stabilisation to this? I haven't been able to get anything quite this smooth with the a7s and M10.

10. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Good work Tim.

To avoid banding issues, don't use Slog3. Just shoot with Slog2.

11. Tim Sessler

I actually added a tiny bit of warp stabilizer to the the car shot and the two barn shots after - simply because they were on a 80mm and my operating in majestic mode was a bit messy. I should have gone a bit higher on the tilt gains - but over all the footage looks very decent right out of the can.

Small side note: play around with lowering your Filters and raising the hold strength much much higher ;)

alex ryan likes this.
  12. Tim Sessler

Thanks Ozkan - have you found a signification difference between Slog 2 and 3? It seems like Cine4 is fixing all banding - but then of course youre working with a lot punchier codec that doesnt have the same latitude as Slog3 (or 2).

Cheers!

13. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hello Tim,

I'm not good at grading a footage; but this is what I have experienced from simple grading. I don't do manual grading, I just apply some luts and make small modifications to them. I think the banding issue with Slog3 is related with 8-bit color depth.

And also, banding issue on Slog3 is discussed thoroughly here:
    http://www.eoshd.com/2015/11/sony-a7s-ii-review-part-1-major-sunspot-defect/