/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta at High Altitude

Discussion in 'ALTA FAQ' started by Rakesh, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Rakesh

Rakesh New Member

Can i fly Alta 8 at 14500ft altitude with red epic and prime lenses temp. Is around 20deg celcius

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Rakesh, welcome to the forum.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

The flight data in the ALTA 8 manual on page 23 might allow you to extrapolate the data you need.

Thanks

Andy

3. Dylan Glockler

At that altitude there may be issues with electrical arcing. Electric motors at higher altitudes can experience arcing. Our Learjet requires special high altitude motors and the electric AC motor has to be turned off at higher altitudes.

All that, of course, is beyond the obvious legal issues. Where do you plan to fly at such an altitude?

4. Vincent Delmont

Vincent Delmont New Member

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And which Alta, the 6 or the 8?

6. Vincent Delmont

Alta 6

7. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Hey Vincent, do you remember what your flight time was? Just to be clear from the description, you were flying 4x 4500mah 6s lipo's? I'm flying up in the Atacama next month and was going to take my X8 flying U7's but may pack the alta too after seeing this. Nice one!

8. Vincent Delmont

Hello mike,
    Hello, yes I flew with 4 x 4500mA / 6S to share in 4 the problems of over-current because the engt snt very solicited. Indeed, at 4000 meters, there is twice less air and therefore half the lift. With the drop in temperatures this reduces the average flight time by 4 in manual mode (do not fly in GPS mode which too much engages the engines for the position holds). I could not make complicated trajectories and I let slip the multirotor. My flight time was 2 minutes 30 to 4300 meters and 3 minutes to 3800 meters on average for a load of 12.6Kg to 13.1Kg. Also check the paschen law for your set-up at these altitudes.
    With the alta 8 the compromise weight / power is better. Theoretically flights should be easier.
    Good Flight :)