/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta 6 crash

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Robbert van Weelderen, May 28, 2016.

1. Humberto Barchini

Ozkan you need only one conector to get loose... then make an arc and the synapse get browned... thats all...

2. Robbert van Weelderen

Delivered the Alta at the dealer today. They will send it to FreeFly.
    The technician got the connectors in fully by using a lot of force. Apparently I was too afraid of molesting the connectors and so didn't use enough force. And in my mind I did really try.. Apparently I'm not as tech savvy as I thought I was...

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You ask a good question about why the loss of a single battery should take out the Synapse -- and it's certainly one that I don't know the answer to and it does seem counter-intuitive for that to happen.

Andy

4. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

That would explain the power loss. I wonder why it didn't happen before. If the EC5 wasn't seated properly and if that was the reason, I would say you are very lucky to have this incident very low to the ground.

On the other hand, if one socket fails, it shouldn't cause the controller to go down. It's not the case on other controllers.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

My only other thought -- and it's pure baseless speculation is: what would happen if only one Lipo was making partial connection and the other was not making a good connection? In effect, that would mean the ALTA was operating with only one LiPo.

Under that circumstance, the loss of the partial connection (perhaps the one with the most arcing and heat damage) would kill the power to the ALTA instantly.

That seems to be what the evidence suggests, I'm afraid....otherwise one is left with the apparent contradiction: How can disconnecting one of two batteries cause a loss of power to the entire aircraft? Remember: I did say it was baseless speculation so I cannot defend it!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Robbert van Weelderen

I've thought about that. The charger is showing a similar voltage for both battery's though so then they would have been disconnected almost at the same time. Which is of coarse possible but less likely.

A question to you guys: if an arc did happened and had an effect on the Synapse would that mean the Synapse would now be dead or could it survive.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Another good question, Robert. Also another one to which I don't know the answer to. (There's been a large increase in the number of such questions over the past couple of years!) My best guess is that it might cause a temporary power loss to the Synapse (which usually is not damaging), rather than a power spike (which can fry equipment).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert