/dist/images/branding/favicon

Aloha, anyone running 99wh lipos for travel?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Lyle Krannichfeld, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Lyle Krannichfeld

Lyle Krannichfeld New Member

Hi there,

First post, hope this is in the right spot. I searched around but didn't see any specific success stories.

I'm looking into a larger uav to carry a mirrorless and/or dslr, and a large concern for me is flying with the lipo batteries. I understand that the limit is 99wh, and if I am right this means one could theoretically power the Alta 6 with a few 4500mah, 6s lips in parallel?

My question, does anyone have experience with this? Any drawbacks or problems? Any issues mounting them, etc? I will be traveling internationally with it a few trips a year (and from island to island here in HI as well as mainland).

Seems like currently, people either ship them ahead of time, put different labels on them or just hope for the best. Am I missing any other options? Some of the places are remote so shipping ahead of time is far from convenient (or not possible), and I don't want to get into the other options.

Currently, this conundrum has me leaning towards the Matrice 600, simply for the convenience of the batteries (I understand the tradeoffs going this route already) when flying. That said, I'd love to find a proven solution with Freefly.

Thanks so much for your time and for any help!

Lyle

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Lyle the challenge with flying multiple batteries in parallel is that each connection introduces additional failure points that could occur. This is the risk that is introduced and over the last 5 years as multi-rotors have evolved most 'builders' didn't add 'y' connectors to the power train.

Yes it is an issue and you have hit the choices currently available spot on.