/dist/images/branding/favicon

All kind of Graupner hell

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dave King, May 2, 2014.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I have a brand new GR24 that is having binding issues. At first it would bind to the receiver but then it wouldn't sync up with the radio after it powers down. The radio still says the bind is there but the receiver will not go green after the initial power.

I tried updating the firmware to the GR24 but I can't get the damn thing to connect. I'm using the 2 wire connector with the dark brown wire connected to ground and the tan wire connected to signal on the receiver.
    In the graupner software I have the USB driver software installed and updated. I have the proper com port selected. I press and hold the reset button on the receiver while plugging power in to it and start the download but it will not connect.

I tried updating another receiver I have and it also won't update but it binds fine.

One thing I noticed is that this receiver says its a GR24L, not sure if that's their latest version of this or if it has any relevance.

2. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

If QC can not help you with this consider contacting OpenHobby.com. They sell everything Graupner and have been helpful with support too.

Dave King likes this.
  3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The ā€˜Lā€™ receivers are a new lower cost line.

Dave King likes this.
  4. Dave King

I just wish i knew why I can't get any of my receivers to connect. I used to be able to connect to them. I'm using the same computer, software, USB drivers, and cables. I even had a second set of graupner cables and all to no avail.

5. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Dave, the L is an American frequency specific model. I use it, it's fine. Graupner has a new office in CA. These guys are GREAT as far as support and assistance, and they want to help. Start with http://www.openhobby.com/front/contactus.php.

Gary McCready and Dave King like this.
  6. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Dave: first thing you might try is the latest version of "Update Studio" = 4.0 I had a bit of trouble binding my "old" GR-24, but a new one was fine. Finally ended up getting the firmware updated but took me 3-4 tries. I was holding down the button, but you need to release it after 3 secs.
    For update plug into telemetry port. Need to power from the servo port.
    "While the Process Bar (green) starts to run, hold down the Set button on the GR-24 and plug in the power." Release button.....

Also don't forget to go into telemetry and change to SUMO 12 (ask me how I know this? lol)
    Without SUMO12 it would operate my Radians (of course) but not my fc.

Enter BIND mode of your specific transmitter and press & hold the SET button on the
    receiver for over 3 sec, the red status LED and the green status LED blink together.
    After that, follow the procedures of your specific transmitter to bind, the system will
    connect within a few seconds. Once connected, the status LED on the receiver turns
    solid green, indicating the receiver is bound to the transmitter. If the binding process
    has failed, repeat the whole procedure"

New update as of 4-28-2014 number 74

http://www.openhobby.com/front/support_download.php

MIke Magee likes this.
  7. Dave King

I found out what I was doing wrong. I didn't put the update cable into the telemetry port, I had in the servo port. The bad news is the new GR24L is bad, won't connect, wont even bind now. I can update my spare GR16 so I know everything is working correctly.

8. Gary McCready

I had a similar problem but got my GR24L to "reboot" with the Studio Update. Thought it was toast, but it just took some tries. No red center wire >> If you run 5v in though your telemetry port I think you can really toast them.

9. Dave King

Yeah I never ran power through the telemetry actually. I was running battery power to servo 1 and the two wire connector through the servo inputs as well which obviously didn't connect. As soon as I tried running the 2 wire connector to the telemetry it would connect to my other receivers but not to my new 24L.

10. Gary McCready

Bummer Dave. Call Open Hobby they might be able to help, as long as you see a led light on the Rx when powered, if not RMA.

11. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

I have a similar issue and rather than start a new thread I am dropping it here. I have a Cinestar 8 with a 3 Axis with Radians and a few other flying contraptions. I have a GR24 on the bird and a GR18 on the gimble. I use an MX20 for the bird and an MX16 for the gimble. I bought a few of the new GR12Ls and have an old GR12 no L unit also. I tried the GR12 and an MX12 on the gimble and it works fine with enough channels to get things done. I can't get the GR12L to work on the Radians. I noticed that the menu changes depending on what GR is bound. On the GR12 the menu lets you set SUMO to a specific channel. I have it set to SUMO 6 and all the functions work on the Radians including my shutter trigger. When I hook up the GR12L the menu says SUMD at CH6, yes or no. There must be a difference between SUMO and SUMD that wont let these new radios work on the Radians. Do you know if I am doing something wrong or if I am missing a setting elsewhere? I have sniffed around and can't seem to find any setting that will make these radios work. I have tested this in a few GR12Ls. If these work the next step is to use the smallest radio, TX and RX, for the airframe, that way I can use the GR24 and MX20 on another flying contraption that needs the channels. From what I read on the Graupner threads on RCGroups forums there shouldn't be any difference in a L model and a non L model.

12. Gary McCready

I have a GR-24 on one MK and GR-24L on the other. No difference I could see with the setup, but for the Radians I just ran a direct servo, ie not through the FC. I only have a 2-axis and not two FC's. I know Graupner said something about binding the Rx before hooking it up. Also don't hook up the telemetry, or you might not find the SUMO menu at all.

13. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

Bind first? Ok, I will try that. The menu on the L says SUMD instead of SUMO. What is the difference?

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

15. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

Unfortunately the MX12 has a slightly different menu when bound to a GR12L, with no mention of SUMO. The only choice I see is SUMD on 6 or no soup for you.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. I hate not getting soup.
    Google's not much help when you search for Graupner GR 12L SUMO -- keep getting pages on Sumo wrestling.

Andy.

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Wonder if the 'new' GR12L is not compatible with SUMO12. Anyone seen anything posted by Holger about using the GR12L? I do not see the 'L' series in the MK store.

18. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

I posted this same question on the RC Groups Graupner forum and the USA dealer said that the GR12L will only do SUMD. The GR16L and up will do SUMX.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sigh. I hate it when what you think is an "upgrade" turns out to be a downgrade. :(

Andy.

20. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Did a bit of research today. The GR12L is from the new series of receivers that do SUMD. The D is digital. The SUMO we are used to is a PPM output. The Digital, well I guess it is digital, whatever that means. Seems to be targeted at Heli's.

To add to the confusion there is also another set like the GR-12+3xG+3A + Vario HoTT.
    With the GRAUPNER HoTT 2.4 GHz technology, the receiver has a new Hopping Telemetry Transmission high-frequency unit with state-of-the-art components and software. Without add-on sensors, the parameters receiver voltage and temperature, signal strength, altitude and vario-information are transmitted.
    3-axis gyro:
    • Stabilization of the model aircraft in difficult wind conditions for up to 3 axes
    • Natural flight behaviour thanks to proportional gyro offset adjustment
    • Very good stabilization for tight flight figures
    • Thanks to the 3-axis gyro, even aerobatic models that are difficult to master can be flown very comfortably; simplifying aerobatic flight extremely
    • Flight figures can be flown very tightly
    • Simple adjustment of gyro assignment
    • Adjustment of the parameters via the HoTT telemetry
    • Altitude sensor for vario-function and altitude