/dist/images/branding/favicon

All built but did not pass the Ohms test

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Morgan Friedland, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Morgan Friedland

I got my Cinestar 8 pretty much assembled. Booms on, Motors wired to PDB, Flight control board connected with molex connector. No PCB Extension board yet so LEDs are not connected. It has been ordered. Receiver soldered in with T Connector. Shorted the HOTT as I have a MX20 transmitter. Battery connections look great on PDB. Navi and GPS are not connected.

I have been following Andy Johnson-Laird's Cinestar instructional video which is amazing. (More on that in a bit). Everything looked good. Connected my $15.00 'old-school' Radio Shack multi-media (Really need to replace this thing considering the thousands of dollars I am spending weekly on this bird), flipped to Ohms and am getting steady 17 when connecting to the battery leads.

I comb the top side of the PDB with magnifying glass and see nothing wrong. I removed the buzzer leads as they looked rather close together. Still 17. Removed the battery + and - from PDB and tested directly from the board. Still 17. Removed all motor wires and tested between each Red, Black and Blue for every ESC and got continuity. Disconnected Flight control board and still no change.

Question: If you have a brand new PDB and you test the Ohms by checking at the inbound Positive and Negative, will you see normal operation which is Ohms quickly rising off the meter within a few seconds? If so, would it be a good idea to test your PDB before starting your build?

I believe the meter is working because when I touch the probes together I get 0 ohms.

Any ideas? Should I blow it with compressed air to jar a loose strand of wire that may be shortening it? Wash it? Any way to determine where the short is.

Thanks for any assistance.

Morgan in Seattle

2. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Morgan, if you've gone over the whole board and there are no obvious problems what you are describing is normal because the caps essentially allow a small 'short' as the current from the multimeter charges them ever so slightly. I'd go over it one last time to be sure it's kosher and then, if so, connect a regular 9v battery to the board as a test. It supplies enough current to power the board and allow you to check the LED status and such without the fear of damaging anything just in case you do have an undetected problem somewhere.

nick

Morgan Friedland likes this.