/dist/images/branding/favicon

Airborne mode vs Handheld mode

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Tim Joy, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Perhaps this has been discussed already when the M10 came out.

What is the difference? Aside from airborne mode adding majestic on roll? That could be really cool for some Superman flying shots.

Is it necessary to switch to airborne when flying it?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tim not sure what you are seeing is majestic on roll in airborne mode. In airborne the mid position should simply keep the MoVI steady with no movement in any axis as described below.

Gimbal Application - Configures the gimbal for either Handheld or Airborne use. In Handheld use, the center position of the Dual Operator Mode Switch enables Pan Majestic operation. In Airborne use, the center position of the Dual Operator Mode Switch parks the Gimbal for takeoff and landing.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Tim, I’m with you on the confusion here. I’d actually like to have some flexibility in how this is selected, as I’d like a hybrid mode for single operator, as well as a general opening of the kimono WRT these states/modes.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If I am single operator I run in Handheld Mode and dual operator in Airborne mode. Single operator I dial down the pan window adjustments so it moves with copter rotation. I like to takeoff in Handheld Majestic mode making sure that the nose of the copter is oriented with the front of the MoVI. On landing, prior to powering down, I put the MoVI in Kill mode with the remote. In Handheld Majestic you can still have control of tilt.

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

All I know is that when I set it to airborne mode and switched to majestic on the remote it would follow the roll. At first I thought something was wrong, but then realized after switching back to handheld mode that it's just the way it works. Handheld majestic keeps a level horizon. Maybe this is something in the new firmware?
    I guess it gives you a choice to bank the camera in the turns or not. I know of only one person that likes to have banked turns. :)

I was wondering if there are any other settings that are changed by switching to airborne mode that are advantageous to flying, because otherwise I would leave it in handheld all the time.