/dist/images/branding/favicon

Airborne mode Pan stiffness

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Michael Elsegood, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Michael Elsegood

I've been using the M10 and MR with Blackmagic Cinema Camera + Zeiss CP2 in handheld and airborne mode respectively.

I'm finding Pan motor behaves a lot differently in the two modes:

In handheld, the Pan gains are set between 50-60 (Roll and Tilt similar). If I put a bit of force on the pan (lightly push with my hand) I can feel it is nice and firm, but not oscillating - perfect behaviour IMO.

However in Airborne mode, gains have to be set right up near 200 to get even close to feeling firm, despite roll and tilt still being in 50-60 range. There appears to be a fair bit of 'slop' or 'slack' in the pan motor when I lightly push against it (significantly more slack than in handheld mode, despite nearly triple the gains) More gain does make it firmer, however these numbers are huge, so something must be odd.

In reviewing the aerial shots from airborne mode (slung under a Cinestar 8 with MR conversion kit), it appears there is unwanted movement in the pan axis, whilst tilt and roll are perfect.

I also notice a humming noise coming from the Pan motor in airborne mode, but not when in handheld mode

Thanks for reading my long explanation, I look forward to hearing your thoughts..

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael when you are setting up the MōVI in the MR mode how are you doing the gain adjustments? What is the setup on your copter? Vibration mount, o ring color, etc? Photos might help us.

The numbers will be different and may be much higher.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Is this with the remote in the "majestic" setting?

Tabb

4. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

i am having a very similar issue with our movi as well. we are flying a Skyjib 8 and it is pretty noticeable. we are only able to get about 45% on the pan gain without it oscillating badly in flight. i hear everyone else obtaining higher gains then us. the gimbal is balanced great with only seeing 0-2% on the motor chart when slowing moving the gimbal around all axis's. it also feels quite loose when you gently touch it as well. doesn't seem tight fight much until it moves more then 3-5° which is an issue.

Canon 5D mark III with 24-70mm lens, and about a half pound of transmitter and converter.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave what process are you using to set the gains?

6. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

Well, i started playing with the gains again and got the pan much higher but still has a very slight oscillation when you give the airframe sharp movements on the ground. the process i have been using to tune the movi has been to adjust the gain as high as possible until it oscillates and then back off a few % until its smooth. i was able to get the pan gain all the way up to 150% but i still need to fly it. yesterday when we were doing some tuning i tried adjusting it in flight and anything past 50% it would not like it. i think we need a better vibration isolation setup then what we have now.

7. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

Update! getting a little closer, still tuning on it. this cold weather is not helping at all lol. the roll is still a bit loose and is really noticeable in descent. i was able to get the gain a little higher where it vibrates on the ground if the jibs weight is on the gimbal but in the air it goes away.