/dist/images/branding/favicon

Adjusting the stabilization of Cinestar HL with Blackmagic 4k

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Hercules Fu, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Hercules Fu

Hercules Fu New Member

:)Hi, i am new to the forum, and i got some question hope that someone would kindly help me.
    I am a newbie to RC shooting, and is currently working on a Cinestar8 w/3axis gimbal , the camera on it is a BMPC w/ Samyang 24 T1.5 lens.
    I tried to balance the camera off the belt , and find that it is extremely sensitive to tilt down motion when it is perfectly balanced , when i tilt down the camera a little bit(like less than 10deg without belt) it fail to balance immediately. By shifting the camera a little bit backward (it can still keep static at center)i find that it has a better range of tilt up and down, by losing a little tilt up angle of tolerance it gain much more tolerance on tilt down(like tilt down for 20deg and it can still keep static) Am I doing the balance this way correct?

Also, when i set my remote control for the 3axis gimbal to "auto mode"(forgive me if i am naming it wrong), which is the mode that the camera stay in center position and give no pan/tilt/roll response to my remote, the stabilization work very well. But once I switch it back to "manual mode" (which i gain full access to control the pan/tilt/roll)during flying, the 3axis gimbal will try to pan left and right for 2-3 times, and the stabilization work not very well at the time(even I keep the camera at center position). Is this situation means that i am not setting the Gain setting correctly? or it's something wrong with the 3axis gimbal and Cinestar8?

I'm using the gain setting for Tilt 40%, Pan 40%, Roll 20%
    Thanks for your patience to read so many question i had asked(and maybe i am not explain so well:oops: )

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hercules:

Without an video or still images it is a little hard to be sure about what is going on, but:

1. From what you describe the camera's centre of gravity is above the tilt axis, so it tends to what to fall forward or backwards when you displace it from the center point (it's like a pencil balanced on it's point on your desk....). So you need to lower the camera until its center of gravity is right in line with the left and right tilt axis shafts. When you get it there, you will find that you can put the camera in any angle of tilt and it will stay there.

2. When you have the transmitter turned to stabilized slew (you call it "auto mode"), is the gimbal resting on the ground or a desk? If so, then you need to suspend it by a cord from the battery plate to simulate the physics of what happens when it is flying.

The gain settings are going to be unique for your setup so I cannot really comment, other than to observe that the optimum setting is unlikely to be an even multiple of 10%. You need to go to the next 10% higher and than come down 1% at a time to get it to the "sweet spot."

Andy.

3. Hercules Fu

Hercules Fu New Member

Thanks Andy for your patience to answer my question.
    When the gimbal is set at stabilized slew , the Cinestar is actually flying , I was judging the work of stabilization from the video image transmitted from the camera.
    I'd like to post some photo and video for further discussion, thanks:)

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hercules:
    Thanks for the information.

You might also want to check your transmitter Trim controls to make sure that you are not accidentally feeding in some pan input -- you don't say what transmitter you're using, but it will have some kind of "Servo Monitor" window where you can see whether there is some offset input for Pan.

If your gimbal uses Radians, you should also consider copying and pasting the first posting from this thread into your next posting and then answering the questions -- it will help a lot for other folks to understand your setup and make suggestions.

Andy