/dist/images/branding/favicon

Adj. Camera rail

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Peter Gøthche, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Peter Gøthche

Hi, i just got the freefly adj. Camera mount but i am not that happy with it :-( it is not the best choice when using the sony nex camera. First off all, the lenss hood wount fit, secund off all, the screw the hold the camera is sitting inside the mount so that you cant take off the camera.

I also bought the adj. Tilt rail, i was hopeing that it would help me get the nex camera firther up so i could balance it better. But that diddent work ether.

Tabb please make somthing for us with small cameras to ;-)

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Peter not sure if I can visualize the problem. Can you shoot a couple of photos and post them?

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Peter the idea is that you leave the adjustable rail on. Then just mark a line underneath the rail where the balance point is slide it into position and do up the four screws under it.

4. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

I too am having a problem with the adjustable rail and mount. When the rail is mounted such that the bulk of the rail is "forward", many lenses won't mount on the camera. The rail gets in the way. This only appears to be a problem on "small" cameras like the Nikon D5200. My D800 works fine. We need a way to raise certain cameras on the rail.

5. Peter Gøthche

I will post some pictures soon.
    Jason: i think that the ider is that when it is fittet and ballanced you can take the camera on and off the rail without having to balance it again

6. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

IMG_2079.jpg
    Hi Peter this is my solution to lift a small camera to achieve a way better CG

7. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Could you cut the rail shorter? that would be simple solution!

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

No No No dont do that that rail is really design for larger cameras that 1, need to be taken on and off the copter often and also its a more friendly design to allow you to find the balance front and back faster, you may not need a long plate now but you will later if you upgrade to a larger heavier camera wit a heavier lens + I dont know if QC will sell a plate on its own, the problem are the smaller lighter cameras like the Nex family or GH2 type, that the CG is too low in relation to the tilt axis, ideally you need to raise this cameras about 1/2, to 3/4 of a inch more or less depending on the actual camera and the lens you are using with the Nex 6 with the pancake zoom that I am using for all my tests I had to raise the camera about 3/4 and slide it all the way forward to get the CG pretty neutral also by raising the camera you have more distance between the lens and the plate so you can attach a hood the extra plate in the front also serves as a lens support with some fome piece, the metal piece that you see in my picture is a hardware store stock aluminum cut and drill to lose weight and to look cool.
    hope this helps

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If you need to move the camera up also consider the latest Adjustable Camera Tilt rails.

10. Jose Luis Ocejo

The 3 generations of tilt bars raise the camera to the same hight I though the same I have the 3

11. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Is it possible to get more of just the mounting plate that mounts on the camera? I would like to have a couple of cameras ready to mount up without switching plates.