/dist/images/branding/favicon

Adding 2nd Receiver - How do I set this up?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ben Freedman, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Howdy...

I'm currently using an MX20 with a GR24. I'm adding a GR12 to control the radians and gimbal. The manual is, shall we say, somewhat LESS than descriptive in setting this up... Could I pose a few questions:

1) I understand that I need to bind this as a 2nd receiver in the MX20. I think I can handle that.
    2) My GR24 is in PPM (or SUM) mode. Will the GR12 automatically go into that mode?
    3) If not, how do I get the GR12 into PPM (or SUM) mode?
    4) It mentions in the manual that 'whichever RX is powered first is the 'master', and will transmit telemetry. Does that mean I should ALWAYS power the heli on first, before plugging in the gimble batter?

Thanks, Gurus! I appreciate the answers.... :)

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
    PrimeImage Media
    480-399-0000 - direct
    480-240-9270 - office
    866-549-6051 - fax
    ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
    www.PrimeImageMedia.com

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben.

1. Correct, it will be in the second postion on the Base setup model menu item.
    2. Yes it will have SUM but you need to turn it on. It will be on port 6 on the GR12. See this posting on the MK site.
    3. See item 2
    4. No, this has to do with a setting in the MX-20. You need to tell it which of the two receivers has telemetry. On the Telemetry screen the first item is TEL.RCV. If you have two receivers bound the box on the right side can be highlighted with the SET button and you pick which one has the telemetry. If your GR24 is connected to the MK stack and you have the single wire going into the T port on the end opposite the servo connectors then that is the one you want to use. Since you probably already have that one bound to the first (left) column on the Base setup page then you would have 'rcv ch1' in the window on the TEL.RCV line and should be good to go.

As always once you get it all hooked up take the props off and do a full test cycle of the all switches, knobs, levers etc.

3. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Howdy...

Sorry for my confusion... I have already done the SUM setting in the MX20 per that link for the first RX. Do I need to do it again for the 2nd RX? or is there a separate setting for the second RX? The link you posted only talks about the first RX.

Also, here's the relevant passage from the GR-12 Manual, which is causing my confusion:

So, that's why I ask if the Heli must be plugged in first, to activate the main RX, and the Gimbal battery plugged in 2nd... Are you sure that the manual is wrong about needing the GR24 to be powered first?

Thanks, and again, sorry for my confusion...

Best,

Ben

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ben can you give me the page that is on from the manual? They say different things in different contexts. I don't think there is any reason to plug them in sequentially.

5. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Sure... It's on page 3, section 2.2...

I've uploaded the manual here in case you need the PDF copy...

Best,

Ben

Attached Files:

6. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Sorry... It's on PDF page 3, but it's printed as page 2.

B.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok got it. My opinion is that they can all be powered on at the same time. I just did a quick test, MC-32 power up, power up the gimbal receiver first, then the MK main receiver. Works fine.

I would refer to the MX-20 manual on page 69. Perhaps the manual for the GR-12 is written generically for to cover all of the Graupner transmitters.

8. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Dude, that's awesome. Thanks for taking the time to help me clear that up... :)

Any thoughts on my other item...

Thanks again!

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

See the additional setup steps for the GR-12 from the MK wiki page CLICK HERE Go to the section about the GR-12

10. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

I must be an idiot, because I can't see anything on that section of the page about connecting the GR-12 as a second RX... But, you've done enough. I'll figure it out myself in the morning. Thanks for your help!

Best,

Ben

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ben not a problem. Just follow the instructions for the GR-12 as if it was a single receiver. Basically you shouldn't have to do anything further since you are already running SUMO. Just connect up to Port 6 and you should be able to control the gimbal based on the channels you have identified in the transmitter for Mode and Tilt Slew.

12. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Awesome! Should be flying tomorrow! :) Thanks again!

Best,

Ben