Accessories Needed for Various Mounting Situations?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Victor Frankl, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Victor Frankl

Victor Frankl New Member

I'm curious about what accessories I'll need to purchase for various mounting situations. I purchased the MōVI Pro handheld bundle, so I have everything that comes with that. I also added the Toad on a Stick for C-Stand mounting.
    I also want to purchase the Walter Klassen MōVI to Mitchell Adapter Plate, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the Pro. I assume it is as the Toad hasn't seemed to change.
    If I want to mount to a jib, a car, and or a dolly, what Freefly accessories should I purchase? Will the toad in the hole quick release and the ninja star do the trick?
    I'd love to know what people like using best for these types of mounting situations.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Active Member

I like the Toad on a stick when the Movi's weight is sitting on top of it, instead of hanging below it. I don't think the baby pin connection is solid enough to hang 20+ lbs.

I don't think you need the Walter Klassen Mitchell adapter. I regularly use a Toad in the Hole Male that's attached to a Ninja Star for rigging the Movi to:

-Mitchell Mount, like on a Dolly, or often my Dana Dolly slider. I have a 3/8-16 Tie Down and a large washer that I got from Modern Studio Grip that I keep with it, since this makes it really fast, and the Ninja Star usually fits right into the groove of the Mitchell Mount.
    -Baby Pin, like when we've rigged it overhead on Menace Arms
    -Grid Clamp to male 3/8" thread, for mounting to speed rail.
    -a portable jib made by FlySpeed camera called the Fly Jib. It has a 3/8" male bolt on it and the Star screws right onto it.

I also keep the Grid Clamp to 3/8" male and assorted Baby Pins to 3/8" male (6" long is useful) in my kit. Be careful, the grips often forget to give these back at the end of the day.

Here are some photos:

Attached Files:

3. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Member

If you are going to mount your MoVI Pro to anything that is subject to even small shock vibrations you need to get some kind of isolation amount. Rigidly mounting a MoVI Pro to something like a hostess tray on the side of the car is going to subject and the mechanism to stresses that can break something just by hitting a crack in the pavement.

There are some recent photos of several different types of isolation mounts on the Vehicle Rigging and Freefly Facebook pages. If I was at home on my computer I could even post a couple of photos. It is pretty important to match the isolation amount to load it’s going to carry.

https://www.proaim.com/proaim-vibration-isolator-wire-mount-for-camera-gimbals.html

#3 Rick Gerard, Jul 14, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 7:43 PM