/dist/images/branding/favicon

Acc upgrade

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gustavo Rios, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hello,

After updating the FC with the Acc board and the firmware 0.90j, I have an error, "Error 5: No GPS Communication" any idea what may be happening and the solution?

Gustavo.

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Have you updated the naviboard?

check the cables from fc to navi board also

3. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Well, there is no mistake in the gps, I am sure that places well the cables but it happens. I did all the protocol before flying and now the point is this, when I activate Altitud control, the cs does not rise beyond 1.5m in spite of I give more gas and when I deactivate it it rises very quickly how my pulsations, some idea of ​​what can happen ?

4. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

nobody with a similar problem or any idea what happens ?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gustavo: The only ways I know of *causing* this error is either (a) one of the cables is bad -- and the crimped on connectors on either the ribbon cables or the small six-wire micro-Molex connectors can fail if you pull on the cable by accident, (b) the cables are not plugged in correctly, or (c) the GPS board has failed.

I would try this -- eliminate the Flight Control board and its ribbon cables from the situation and focus in on the GPS board/Flight Control:

1. Remove the ribbon cables from the Navigation Control board that connect it to the Flight Control board.

2. Install the small jumper on the MK USB adapter board so that it provides +5 volts from the computer (remember to remove this jumper when you are done with this test!)

3. Connect up the MK USB adapter to the 10-pin connector on the Navigation Control board, and start up MK Tool (the red stripe on the MK USB should match the red stripe on the ribbon cable between the NC and FC boards). You should be able to talk directly to the Navigation Control board, but you will see an error condition (because the FC board is not connected).

4. Check if the GPS error is also showing (red square for the GPS subsystem). Is there a Green LED under the GPS board illuminated or is a there a Red one? Does the GPS blue LED go from solid to flashing (to indicate that it has a GPS fix). Note: if you're working indoors the Blue LED test might not be a good one to try -- you may never actually get a GPS lock indoors.

5. If the Red LED on the GPS board is on, then the odds are the GPS board might be the problem. You will need to talk to your dealer. If you can get a replacement on loan, that will quickly tell you whether your board is bad or not.

6. If you still have the GPS error, then it would suggest that the culprit is the six-wire micro-Molex connector from the Navigation Control board to the GPS board. Double/triple check that connector at both ends. Examine it under a magnifying glass. Re-seat it. Make sure that both ends are properly seated. See if you can get a secondary six-wire micro-Molex connector and change that out.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

When you connect up to the Flight Control board using MK Tool, what values do you see being reported for the AccZ parameter on the left hand size of the MK Tool window.

If it is less than 700 that is good. If it is not, then the upgraded sensor has not been detected.

Also, did you see this note: "The new position control will only work correct if you fly your copter (after each start) once over an altitude of 1,50 mtr. After this you can fly / hoover in every altitude you want." See http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/FlightCtrl_ME_2_2_ACC

Just wanted to be sure you'd seen it....

Andy.

7. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Yes, I see it, Please you can check the gpx file, maybe I be wrong and I start the altitud control below of 1.5m or I have other error.

Attached Files:

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Starting AH below 1.5 meter should not cause a problem as I understand it -- I just don't think the copter will actually hold at the altitude -- that's all.

My PC with with MK_GPXTOOL program on it is currently being backed up so I won't be able to look at the GPX file tonight, Gustavo. Sorry about that. I will look at it tomorrow as soon as I can.

Andy.

9. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Ok Andy, as information, I have the height control on a three-position switch and the Altitud window the stick neutral point in 127, I don't know if this can be the problem.

Gustavo

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What values (it changes slightly as you watch) in MK Tool are you seeing for AccZ, Gustavo?

Andy.

11. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

The values ​​fluctuate between 685, 690. but all less than 700.

Gustavo

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You say you have the stick neutral at 127 -- do you have a spring loaded throttle on your transmitter?

Andy.

13. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

No Andy, in the mktool altitude window I have the "stick neutral point" in 127.

Gustavo

14. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Some parameter to change, perhaps to zero instead of 127 ?

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Gustavo:
    I would like to confirm that you do NOT have a spring loaded throttle stick, right?
    If so, I think you might want to try the zero setting for the Stick Neutral Point, so that the MK Flight Controller will determine the hover point automatically.

See if that helps.
    Andy.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gustavo: In what might the ultimate in irony, I was out on a shoot yesterday. This morning I saw that I was having Error 5 No GPS Communication errors just like you -- so badly in fact that the copter was doing a major "twitch" as the I2C bus that connects all the boards together was being reset -- the Navigation Control board was writing multiple GPX files for what was just one continuous flight.

I think the culprit proved to be the small micro-Molex cable with six wires between the Navigation Control Board and the GPS board.

I say "I think" because I swapped out both the Navigation Control Board and the cable, and everything was back to normal. It's possible it is the Navigation Control board, but I think the cable is most likely to be the cause.

What did you change to correct the GPS communication error you were having?

Hope this helps.
    Andy.