/dist/images/branding/favicon

A wishlist for our friends at Freefly Systems ;-)

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Wolfgang Armin, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi guys, we happily received our MoVI and are having a great time working everthing out. Being some kind of inventor, I highly value how technically mature this product is - however, I use to wake up with ideas early every morning, and having such a great device next to me inspires me even more. So I thought I'd come up with a wish list for future upgrades to the MoVI. I´m sure you already have something in the pipe that contains at least some of our ideas, but I thought it can´t hurt.
    1. Whatever version 2.0 you come up with, please make sure version 1.0 is upgradeable through accessories. I´ve bought countless versions 1.0 just to see a successor within the first few months, leaving me with my investment in the rain without a chance to upgrade hard- or software. The first buyers usually are kind of investors, they bring the first money (well, not completely true in your case ;-)), so their needs should be valued.
    2. Sice there is already a cable running from the main processor to the camera stage, it would be nice to have a power out right there, to power for example a follow focus, cameras, or whatever from the MoVI battery. That would not only come in handy, but also make a complete rig look more professional than having tons of cables hanging around ;-).
    3. Talking about the camera stage. What I really miss is an aux-port. Comming from your 3axis camera gimbal with three radians (at a fraction of the cost), I´m "slightly" disappointed that there is no aux-port to trigger the camera. I was expecting the MoVI to be an upgrade to the older system in every single way.
      The camera stage would be the perfect place for such an aux-port without the need of extensive wiring.
    4. It would be nice to have some more accessories to chose from - for example something to mount a remote follow focus right to the rig. I have ordered some equipment I thought could fit my needs from Redrock Micro (e.g. a grip rod), but it would be much better to have something that´s proven to work than experimenting with still rather expensive accessories from a third-party.
    5. I´m sure you thought about that, but it would be nice to have a toolless setup for the pan-balance too. I see the difficulties there, but it´s just so great not having to grab an allen key for roll and tilt.
    6. Please include an allen key for the camera plate. Not only would it be nice to have all the tools look the same, it´s also frustrating if your MoVI is delivered to your home rather than your studio and you don´t have no tools at hand ;-).
    That´s my ideas from the first two days with the MoVI, I´m sure other have some more, so please feel free to contribute.
    Thanks for reading,
    Wolfgang

2. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

The point #1 is indeed very important. I hope you'll offer upgrades to existing customers when new evolutions of the rig come out.

#3 : camera trigger would be nice.

#5 : Pan balance can be a bit of a pain sometimes, especially with heavier cameras, indeed.

I would add :
    - A way to store the allen keys on the stand would be nice, so you always have them at hand when you need them. Like on a docking bracket for steadicams.
    - An easy way to attach the rig to a crane or a tripod. Something that would replace the handle in these situations. What are people using right now ?