/dist/images/branding/favicon

A couple quick notes on the Epic

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Christopher Barrett, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Christopher Barrett

I've got my rig up and running and seem to have my head wrapped around camera balancing. So just a cople notes as I continue to configure my Epic.

1. The softer, non-woven monitor cables from my Red One seem to work fine with the MōVi. They don't hinder the motors, nor affect balance too much. They also provide full functionality to the Touch Screen.

2. I'm able to power the RedRockMicro Follow Focus from the +1 Module! Once I found out that the Teradek has opposite polarity of the RRM FF, I just reversed one of my Teradek cables for use with the FF. Killer!

So, running the Epic with a SideHandle Redvolt I have power to the camera, ff and monitor. Nice. Maybe I'll run a DP4 and power the Teradek that way.

Learning and having fun. I have a week to get it sorted and then we start up a new short on Friday (plan to put the MōVi to heavy use).

Cheers,
    CB

Just had a look at using the Wooden Camera V Mount quickplate on the back. I can actually fit that and one of my fat Switronix batteries back there. It would foul the tilt, though. I bet those skinny IDX batts Tabb posted would work decently tho.

and sorry, Ben, we're shooting around Chicago.

Lliam Worthington likes this.
  2. Ben Huddleston

Christopher,
    That sounds like a nice setup. I just got my M10 yesterday, and also have the RR remote FF and the Teradek Bolt HD transmitter. I only have a 5dMk3 though, so I'll have to figure out another way to power those....

Any chance you're shooting your short on Friday in the LA area? If so I'd love to come and watch....

Ben
    www.benhuddleston.com

3. Jonathan Stevenson

Christopher, when you're powering the Redrock from the +1 module, are you using a cable that you just borrowed from your Teradek kit? Or was there a cable included with your redrock that works? What do you mean when you say you "reversed the cable?" Just plugged it in upside down?

4. Christopher Barrett

The Teradek power-in has a polarity that's the reverse of the RRM FF. I have some Lemo to Lemo cables from Laird for my Teradek. I just took one of those and reversed the leads to wire up the RRM FF.

5. Lliam Worthington

Thanks for posting Christopher. Much appreciated. Wish I had some of the older cables. Time to bump my WTB thread on RU.

6. Christopher Barrett

Sure thing, I expect in these early days we're all going to be learning a lot from each other.

As a means of making the rig more versatile, I've just ordered the DP4. The thin HDMI I ordered with my rig is definitely way more pliable than any RED cable. I also have this cheap Nyrius Aries Pro HDMI wireless system (same form factor as Paralinx) that will be easier to mount than my Teradek, should work great with the DP4 and will report back on that. I just used it on a Stills shoot to send images to a client monitor and it ran solid for 5 - 10 hour days.

7. Lliam Worthington

Sadly with the early days I may be a little late to the party, just got some bad news on my shipping ETA.

I have the DP4, good piece of kit, chews through the batteries fairly quick though.

What's the lag like with the Nyrius?

8. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

Whoa whoa whoa.... Just did a bit more research and I'm noticing that EVERY Epic set up in the Freefly and LaForet shoots use a completely different drop arms set up and a 25mm cross arm. Where is this?

9. Jonathan Stevenson

I think those were the older prototypes? Maybe I'm not understanding your question though.

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Those were prototypes.

11. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

Christopher: I am using Nyrius Pro set up also but I'm having a problem with running the receiver off a battery. I have a 5v 2.1a Jockery brand battery and bought a usb to 3.5mm barrel adaptor to plug into the receiver. Unfortunately the receiver wont power up. I suspect the adaptor but am not sure. What are you using or portable power for the receiver?

12. Marin Nekic

Marin Nekic New Member

Hi Christopher ....can you please explain to me about-" I'm able to power the RedRockMicro Follow Focus from the +1 Module!"
    Im pretty new to redrock micro wireless bundle and i come to problem with red epic about what cable to use for connecting redrock micro base to +1 module?? ( i got in my package just the DTap cable, and now trying to find out what cable to use instead...thank you

13. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

When I first built an epic on a movi, i powered it with a movi battery. I realized I didn't like that build due to a few thing but basically I didn't like not knowing the status of the batteries and needed several batteries bongo tied all over the place to power the AKS. The next configuration was an Anton Bauer battery on the cross bar with a flexible cable going to the camera. I was able to power everything from that battery. My most recent most favorite and quite possibly my last configuration for an Epic is to put the battery on a battery belt (or a battery in a fanny pack) and run a P tap cable to the cross bar. I put a P tap splitter on the cross bar and power the monitor and the HD transmitter. Then put a P Tap cable from that splitter down to the camera/ gimble and plug in another P Tap splitter which powers the camera and the follow focus system. The cable from my body to the crossbar is not a problem at all. Theres enough slack I can go from the ground to the full extent of my arms. When Im resting, I either stand by the rig while its hanging on the dock or simply unbuckle the belt and walk away. So one Dionic HC runs the camera, monitor, FF, and HD Video and I ran the camera up to 96fps no problem. The battery lasts well over an hour and I can see the readout. The only battery you are carrying on your arms is the Movi battery which lasts several hours usually. I find my ability to hold shots longer and I still have gas after lunch. My next idea is to take an idea from other thread and put the monitor on a helmet in front of my right eye. Ill power a receiver and the monitor from a battery on the helmet. That will allow for much more accurate framing while the camera is low or high or running or what ever. I have not tried that yet so stand by. A second advantage of that, is getting the monitor off your arms/shoulders.

You won't be able to hand the Movi off obviously with these set ups but thats a special circumstance I have not yet encountered.
    Let me know if that works for you or if you have a way to improve upon it.

14. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

One other thing I though about on a recent job is that I want to get footage from my shoots for learning or for my reel etc. It is often difficult and takes time etc to get that footage from producers. I plan on connecting a small recorder to my battery belt or put it inside a fanny pack and record the takes as I go. That is currently in the planning stage since I don't have a recorder at the moment.