/dist/images/branding/favicon

5dMkIII Raw Video from Magic Lantern

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Gary Haynes, May 13, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks good on my large Apple monitor. Bit of unsharp/sharpening and it would jump off the screen.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It's really quite simple, and no courage is required, except if you're terrified of reading directions. The body on which I did this takes about 30 seconds to revert to the stock firmware, and the ML stuff disappears without a trace. The hardest part is the time it takes to go from the CF card->RAW file->DNG files->TIFF files->MOV file with three different pieces of software. But it's pretty awesome to be able to yank around a DNG file's colors, white balance and exposure the way I'm used to playing with my CR2 raw still photos from my cameras. Unfortunately, I'm also finding that the 128GB Komputerbay card I bought may not be up to the task of writing those files, as it seems to crap out a few seconds in. Apparently I missed the memo where folks were saying that the 64GB cards have better throughput. Sigh.

And with respect to triggering, I'd be surprised it if worked with existing triggers. I don't use one on the 5D Mark III. For stills I use a cheap intervalometer, and for video I just let it rip on takeoff. Easier than burning yet another switch on my TX. I fly solo, so I have only 1 transmitter. But the ML menu structure is weird, and it uses buttons in an odd way.

3. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Steve, what happens when it's not on tripod? Have you tried your copter yet?

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

No different than ordinary video WRT tripod or not.
    And I haven't flown with it yet. I'm all about my new GH3 right now. :D

5. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I looked into this Andy and found that an older version of the Magic lantern had an option that would allow recording when the shutter cable was depressed half way. I could not find that option in the RAW hack.

However...

I purchased the GENTLED for canon, got it today. I programmed my bind button on my camera ops DX8 to act as the trigger. It worked ok but was hard to roll the video as you would have to hold the button down for approximatley 1.5 seconds to get the video to roll. If you held it any longer a photo would actuate and not video. If you held it the button not long enough then nothing would happen.

But I figured out the solution for rolling video, but NOT having the ability to take photos.

In my "servo setup" menu of the DX8 I changed the servo travel of my AUX 1 (Bind button, shutter control) to 0% and 113% instead of 113% and 113%. This made it so an immediate press of the button will start and stop the video record function of the Mark III.

No more wasting RAW and no more aching backs after bending down 150 times a day!!!!
    I'm so Stoked.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Elegant solution, Chris. Thanks for posting how to do it!

Andy.

7. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Andy, Glad I could add something to the community. Seems like I'm always taking away! :). I will probably do a proper write up on a separate thread.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris: Nobody is keeping score.... :)
    A separate posting is a good idea.

There's also a new Stratosnapper2 on the market that looks interesting. I'll be testing that in the next couple of weeks if I get time.

Andy.

9. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member