/dist/images/branding/favicon

5dMkIII Raw Video from Magic Lantern

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Gary Haynes, May 13, 2013.

1. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Zach, ya that's now 1080. I started uploading it last night and forgot to set it to 1080.

Scott, that was a 70-200 f2.8 IS.

2. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Well I didn't have the time I was hoping for... and after thinking about it, these test usually end up with lots of folks getting their panties in a bunch about results and how they were achieved etc etc.
    Anyways I did shoot a little piece with two cameras ( Epic/5D3 ) but it was totally locked off and a very dark day in the clouds. I tried the color correct them as close as possible to see how they would cut together. Surprisingly well as long as you don't move too much, when the 5D shows its edges and aliasing. No moire but it just has less resolution.
    Still, they actually work together as an A and B cam far better than before.

3. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Thanks for taking the time to do the test.

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Gary and Brad. I have just swopped my Mark II in for a Mark III and wanted to see how you guys were getting on with ML raw. I read that you can do smooth exposure adjustment, is that true? Footage looks good on the web but how are you finding it on the copters?
    Thanks
    Kat

5. Chris Odom

Chris Odom Member

First time posting but thought this is as good as any to start with...
    I too am intrigued by the RAW video coming out of these canons, in particular the 50D. Everything is set and recording is now stable on my 5 year old 50D. The footage is beautiful and am now ready to sling under the CS6. My question is: how can I start/stop video while the raw module is running. You have to hit the live view button on the 50D to shoot the raw. Any thoughts or solutions out there?

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Welcome, Chris!
    When I'm shooting video, I prefer to simply let the camera run for the duration of the flight. I know the ML hacks result in huge file sizes, so that might not be practical. But you may find that simply using a larger CF card is cheaper and easier than trying to trigger the camera remotely.

7. Chris Odom

Chris Odom Member

Thanks for the welcome Steve! I've been lurking for awhile (like most) but decided to jump in and be a part of this community.

As for letting it run... well my tests show that 1 min of raw video is about 4.5 GB! I am using 64 and 128 GB cards but would like to limit the amount of data I have wrangle, much less offload while out in the field. I have 4 cards that will work for raw recording but as I'm sure you're aware of, those things are expensive!

My hope was to be able to only roll footage when the shot was framed.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris take a look at the LittleSmartThings Stratto Snapper. Easily control multiple brands of cameras either hardwired or LED triggered.

Looks like they have just released a Version 2 with some nice improvements including LANC control. www.littlesmartthings.com

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

For the Canon 5D Mark III I find that the hardwired (as opposed to IR LED) solution seems a little more reliable. So both the Stratosnapper2 and the gentWiRE-Focus can be used as a hardwired trigger (you have to set the option in the camera that allows the normal shutter release to control video recording). The good thing about the 5D Mark III is that it gives you "red dot" confirmation that it is recording on the HDMI video output that is downlinked.

I just did some informal measurements for the Canon 5D Mark III battery and found that I was getting 1 hour 28 minutes for a fully charged Canon battery while recording Canon standard video (not the Raw video from the ML hack). That was with the 24mm f2.8 IS lens mounted.

Andy.

10. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Andy, did you go ahead and install the ML hack?
    Katya

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not yet, Kat. I've been so focussed on getting ready for an eight-day long shoot in South Eastern Oregon that I've not had time -- and there's a element of the old geek's rule that kicks in: "Don't upgrade anything just before you leave on a trip....just in case....." :)

Andy.

12. Katya Nelhams-Wright

What fun. Hope you have a lovely 8 days flying and shooting:) You up to anything exciting?
    Quite right in terms of the upgrade stuff...always a bit disconcerting to do that.
    Kat

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm going to be out in the Alvord Desert (extreme SE Oregon) shooting for Oregon Field Guide (local production for Oregon Public Broadcasting) -- it's a story about student biologists studying the giant horned desert lizard -- they live and work in the desert for a month. There's also another study going on using an Aeryon Scout and a multi-spectral imager that's used to study the bacterial mats that form in borax hot springs.

The lizard's interesting -- it's evolved the strange trait that, when severely threatened, it can spit blood out of its eyes at predators. I mentioned this to a colleague of mine and he looked strangely wistful and said quietly, "I once had a girlfriend who could do that...." :) :)

Andy.

14. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Sounds lovely, are you going to be shooting the hot springs? and mind the lizards!:)
    Kat

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. We're going to be shooting lots of scenics. Problem is that we're high, hot, and maybe heavy. 5,000 ft AMSL, 95F, and with a Canon 5D Mk III. Desert winds and dust devils are another issue. Oh, did I mention rattlesnakes? And then there's the biology students. :)

I suspect our shooting window will be primarily from first light until about 11:00am, and perhaps the golden hour before sunset depending on the weather. I'm also taking a lightning trigger for the 5D Mark III so in case of thunderstorms (they have some spectacular ones in the desert), I can sit in my SUV and shoot lighting strikes.

Andy.

Brad McGiveron and Steve Maller like this.
  16. Katya Nelhams-Wright

That definitely made me laugh....I was imagining beautiful sunrises and shooting and you make it sound like hell on earth!:) Mind the lightening and don't forget to leave your underwire bra at home.....I made a programme once that reported that 2 women in China had died when struck by lightening, attracted by the wire in their bras!!!:)
    Kat

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Note to self: Ixnay the underwire bra. I'll also alert the ladies in my crew.

Andy.

18. Steve Maller

I downloaded and installed the ML code on my 5D Mark III using the KomputerBay 128GB card.
    It's dark outside and everybody's asleep (inlcluding my dog!) so I have nothing to film that isn't just laying there.
    But it works as advertised, and it's quite a thrill to see my 5DM3's screen taken over to look something like Strong Bad's compy!!! IMG_7316.JPG

19. Steve Maller

Here's a first test from my 5D Mark III on a tripod. I must say, it's breathtakingly clear. Download the original video for the full effect.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Brave soul, Steve.

Any indications pro or con whether the camera is still controllable (at least for record start/stop) via the remote control that we use when it's copter mounted (that is the plug on the left hand side as you look at the camera from the rear).

Andy.