/dist/images/branding/favicon

5D settings question

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Jean Gabriel Taboada, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Jean Gabriel Taboada

Hi,

Im trying to figure something out about shooting video with my 5D MKII.

heres the scenario, i am inside a house, its a very sunny day, but the house's interior doesn't recieve much sunlight. so i start filming inside the house, in the livingroom, a person is sitting in the couch, he stands up and walks to the door, opens it and then goes outside. i follow him the whole time. I set my shutter to 1/60 most of the time, iso to 320 in this situation, and aperture 9.0 and i get a nice image, exposure compensation is at 0, but when i walk out the door the image is very very bright.

how would you shoot this scene if you couldnt adjust exposure on the go, like on the cinestar.

2. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Get an electronic nd filter which magically kicks in when you go outside!:)
    Seriously though I can't think of a way you could cover that scenario on any camera unless you can change aperture. Someone else might have a bright idea though.
    Kat

3. David C. Didato

David C. Didato New Member

You would use auto ISO if you have no other option. Auto iris will change your DOF.
    If you have correct exposure inside at iso 320/f9.0, then when you go outside it will drop to 100. 1.5 stops.
    You may have to close down to at least f16 so that the iso will ride down from around 800 down 3 stops to 100.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kat:
    Would it be better to follow the old adage of "expose for the highlights, print for the shadows" from the world of b&w photography....namely, expose for the exterior to avoid blowing the highlights knowing that you'd have to pull up the exposure for the interior in post? Or do you get too much noise when you do that?

Or use automatic shutter mode so the iris stays constant but the shutter speed varies to compensate. (On Canon cameras this is Tv mode.)

Andy.

MIke Magee likes this.
  5. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Expose for outside and then add artificial light inside.
    Wait till its darker outside - ie. just after dusk
    Don't shoot it in one long master shot unless you absolutely must.

I'd cut to an exterior shot of the door opening, or an insert of hand on door knob...anything that fits what your shooting. Then you can come back to the follow shot with a proper exposure for the outside.

If not possible, both suggestions (Auto-ISO and TV) will solve the problem, but will be noticeable in the final shot as the exposure changes to compensate for the sun.

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Get a camera which a crazy Dynamic Range. ;)

I would try and add additional lighting inside the house.

Josh

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I've heard that they do a competition in the uk every year which is how many cans of beer a UAV can carry. Maybe we should do a monthly shoot challenge of scenarios that we might find ourselves in for a bit of fun:)

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

As long as it doesn't involve trees, Kat, I'm up for it....so far the high spot for me was chasing a tractor ploughing a field and not knowing which way it was going to go next -- I zigged the C8, and the tractor zagged and I saw the driver's eyes briefly via the FPV....fortunately not quite close enough for "phenomenological co-presence" to occur.

Andy.

9. Jean Gabriel Taboada

I guess if you dont need a shallow depth of field you could just use Tv mode, aperture variations are not very noticeable @ Post. but Tv mode also means auto ISO and that is very noticeable @ Post, so i guess that if i can get away with it, use Tv mode, if i cant, either stage the interior or cut somewhere so i can adjust the camera for the light change as duane suggested.

10. Scott Strimple

11. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Ohhh...Scott that's a good idea (long time no see, BTW)! Funny that it never occurred to me to use a Variable ND in that way! Good thinking. I've used the http://singh-ray.com/varind.html with great success. Having 2 to 8 stops of ND quickly adjustable without the stair stepping of the electronic exposure.

Mike