/dist/images/branding/favicon

5D mark III - shutter cable with Radian??

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Olivier turcotte, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Olivier turcotte

Olivier turcotte New Member

I'm trying to use the shutter cable with my 5dmark III and I'm not able to got anything. I've the blue led light up on the cable (http://www.quadrocopter.com/Shuttercable-for-Canon-5D_p_364.html?referrer=rss) but I can have it to work. It take a picture when I plug it in the camera but I'm not able to take a picture from my remote. I've set the Aux on channel 7 and I've plug the cable on AUX 2 of my tilt radian. I need help.

Thanks

2. Philip Ellerbroek

@Olivier - Try using port 3. In this video, he says to use port 3 of the tilt.

then fast forward to the 4:25 mark. You will hear him explain and specifically say port 3.

Also, I believe you have to also calibrate/set your tilt radian to do this. Plug your Freefly servo cable into the tilt radian (just as you did when setting up the Radian), then READ the tilt radian, and there is an option to toggle the AUX feature ON/OFF. Change it to ON and then WRITE the tilt radian.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Olivier: The camera shutter cable you have says: "The Shuttercable is simply connected to one of the transistor outputs of the Flight-Ctrl." -- that is to say it's activated by transistor level voltages.

But you are trying to connect it to a pulse width modulated (PWM) output on the Aux port of a Radian and that's not going to work as the signals are completely different. I think the only reason it takes an exposure when you first connect it is that the cable "sees" some of the 5 volt pulses as though they were the brief output from the transistors on the FC board.

I suspect you will need to use a shutter release that is controlled by PWM.
    For example: http://www.quadrocopter.com/RC-Shutter-Switch_p_595.html

Or, if you want to control the camera by infrared, consider the StratoSnapper, or Gentled. (I don't know who sells the Gentled in the USA).

Hope this helps
    Andy.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I forgot to mention that I'm using a Stratosnapper controlled by a Radian Aux port on my 5D Mark III and it works well.

Andy.

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yup I had the same issue. I ended up buying the RC Shutter Switch and it works great now!

josh

6. Philip Ellerbroek

Also, if you were previously using a Canon Shuttercable ( http://www.quadrocopter.com/Shuttercable_p_309.html ) and controlling it via the flightboard but are now moving to Radians and having it controlled by the TILT Radian via Port 2, be sure that when you use the RC Shutter Switch and are soldering your new cable that you "eliminate" the blue led switch that was used when running your camera from the flight board within your wiring ( http://www.quadrocopter.com/RC-Shutter-Switch_p_595.html ). So the new cable will be: at one end is the NEW servo cable end that is attached to the RC Shutter Switch out of the package, then plug the small molex cable and attached blue/red cables, and then you will connect the small blue wire to the black negative lead within the Canon cable, and then you connect the small red cable to the remaining two leads coming from the Canon cable (twist them together and solder). I've attached a pic of the finished product.

Attached Files:

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad you solved the problem, Brad.
    Andy.

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I think I did.. but created a few more. Seems that with the mode switch off I'm getting random movements from the roll servo even though my shutter switch is connected to the tilt radian. Also seems that I had to reprogram the shutter switch unit 5-6 times and still not getting consistent function. I will definitely be leaving this unplugged when shooting video.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Brad: That sounds like electrical noise problems (or possibly pre-version 1.02 firmware on the Radians).
    Can you confirm how you are supplying power to the Radians? If it's via Port 1 on a Radian and you are NOT providing signal input, that seems to be a good way of introducing noise into the system.

Can you refresh my memory: Which shutter switch are you now using?

Thanks
    Andy.

10. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I am using the rc shutter switch described above in port 2 of the tilt radian. 1.02 radian software with power in port 1 on all radians and linked from port 3 on the previous radian in line. Is input not supposed to be on port 1 anymore? I didn't get that message

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Brad: the message is: if you provide just power and ground on port 1, there is a concern that the signal input will float and be susceptible to induced noise which could show up as "twitchy" behavior. So, if you're using a Spektrum Satellite and want to provide power to the Radian, it's best to use some port other than 1.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

So all my radians should have port one empty or just the pan which is connected to the BEC? I suspect just pan since this is the only one with just power connected. Also how does that affect the roll radian and why is all this only showing up with my shutter switch connected. Yes I'm running Spektrum.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're correct: just the one where you are injecting power (+v and ground).

I've put an oscilloscope on the power line of Radian's and servos and when the servos are operating there is (as is always the case with electric motors/servos) several volts of noise zinging back and forth. All of the Radians' connect with common +v, ground and S.bus, so that noise is permeating through the system.

I'm afraid with electrical noise it's hard to predict the effects so I can't really answer why the presence of the shutter switch is pushing something over the limit -- other than wires act like an antenna so the additional wires of the shutter leads might be picking up even more noise.

You might want to read this thread in which I describe a problem with my MK IR Trigger wedging in flight. Specifically message #10 which shows the scope traces and the amount of noise on the +v supply -- along with the workaround of adding a separate Traco/Recom to provide clean +5v to the shutter trigger. I popped the +v wire from the RC servo cable that controls the IR trigger, and just pulled the signal and ground from the Rx -- that way I could isolate the +v noise from the MK IR trigger.

Hope this helps.
    Andy