/dist/images/branding/favicon

4s lip battery issue

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by alex ryan, May 17, 2015.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hi,
    One of my freely Lipo 4s batteries has a voltage of around 3.94v on each cell. I plugged it into my icharger 106b to discharge to a storage voltage of 3.8v on each cell.
    The charger did its thing. the voltages went down to 3.8v. It beeped to tell me it was done and then the voltages jumped back up to 3.94v. I checked it with a voltage checker and sure enough it was up at 3.94 for each cell.
    This is the only battery I am having this problem with.
    Any ideas what is happening? should I be trusting this battery?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Does your charger have the ability to measure the internal resistance of the battery?

And have you tried charging it? Does it charge OK? I'd be careful with it on the charger. Carefully monitor the temperature of the battery while it's on the charger. If it gets warm or hot to the touch, dispose of it immediately.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe the charger has a fault?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You may see some voltage "rebound" when there is no load connected to the battery (the voltage checker is does not impose a significant load). When the charger take a LiPo to storage voltage it either charges (if the cells are below the storage voltage) or discharges (if the cells are above the storage voltage). In the latter case, the "charger" in effect, connects a load resistor across the cells to make them discharge down to storage voltage. The problem is that when the cells are down at storage voltage and you then remove that load resistor, some cells "rebound" back up.

Personally, I would not worry about it. 3.94v is a little high for a storage voltage, I agree, but the real point is that it is NOT 4.2v (fully charged).**

Andy.

** Note: I may sound like I know what I'm talking about, but this is an illusion -- as Mr. Maller might well point out. <evil grin>