/dist/images/branding/favicon

360 pan axis not holding

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Tristan Twisselman, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

I have tried to just power the servo with a receiver and I have tried it with the hoverfly gimbal board connected. With both of them, after flying around I come back in and land and the gimbal has moved quite a bit. Is this normal? How can I get the gimbal to stay in the direction I want until i tell it to move?

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Since the pan servo is operating in 360 open loop control you will need to subtrim your radio until the mount does not pan at all. I am unsure if the Hoverfly gimbal board stabilizes Pan axis yet? When the pan axis is stabilized it should stay pointed at a heading until told to pan.

Hope that helps

Tabb

3. Tristan Twisselman

Hi Tabb,

Yea, I can subtrim it to not move when on the ground. But once i get it in the air and fly around that is when it is moving...like the servo doesnt have the power to keep it from moving. As far as the hoverfly gimbal, they say it does but that has yet to be seen.

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

I think this is just a fact of life with a 360 modified servo that is not being controlled by a stabilization board. When it is at is neutral pulse width it is not commanding the motor either forwards or backwards and thus has very little holding power since the motor is not technically driving. However when you hook up a gyro system to it it will be constantly driving the motor to maintain the heading in much the same way that a camera operator would be giving panning commands while you fly.

If you are going to fly a 3 axis gimbal without a 2nd operator why not just unplug pan axis and zip tie the gimbal so that it stays pointed forwards?? This is usually what I do.

Best,

Tabb

E-One Productions likes this.
  5. Tristan Twisselman

That makes a lot of sense! It is currently me just flying it doing the testing and I did end up just zip tying it to not move for now. Thanks for the info and quick responses Tabb :)

Tristan