/dist/images/branding/favicon

3 flashing lights on the movi5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Scott Strimple, May 12, 2014.

1. Scott Strimple

Initial out of the box setup went well. Balanced all 3 axis with my 5d2 and 16:35 lens. Battery at 16v turned on the movi and connected to the configuration sw... bound the DX8 and was off to the races. All features worked as advertised. Converted to MR and mounted video tx and hdmi converter to the aft leg. installed a JST break out cable to power my movi and my video tx from the battery. Turned on the movi and got 3 green lights initially then out for about 8 seconds then all 3 green lights flashing at me. Configuration sw shows :

Status ERROR
    Compass GOOD
    Radio GOOD
    GPS GOOD
    Drive ERROR
    IMU ERROR
    Info showing Compass Fail Drive Fail Accelerometer Fail Gyro Fail

Batt 15.9v
    SAT 9
    Temp 41C

All connections appear to be intact and firmware is 3.7

It worked just fine and then less than 30minutes later after installing unrelated equipment it no longer
    works.

AND GO!

Thanks

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Scott when you are starting it in the MR mode my sequence is turn on the MoVI making sure the camera gimbal isn't moving and is stable and balanced. I use Remote Operator Handheld mode. So the Mode switch is in the Kill position when I turn it on. I then hookup the copter, get the copter started, making sure that boom 1 is aligned with the front to back axis of the MoVI, apply some throttle, short of lift off power, and switch the MoVI to Majestic mode.

Then I take off. This is the sequence I use for single operator.

Just a guess with the error you mention I would suspect that the gimbal wasn't stable and couldn't get a good starting fix.

If you can shoot a short video of the startup and what happens that would help.

3. Scott Strimple

Here is a video clip of the behavior.

PW is movi

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok re-read your original post. What happens if you disconnect the Y adapter and only power the MoVI? Also check it with no power to the HDMI and FPV TX. Between the battery split and output from the TX/HDMI you might be getting some EMI that is affecting the MoVI electronics. If it works with them turned off try moving them to one of the front legs and power them up one at a time.

FYI splitting the battery is not recommended. You want full battery power available for the MoVI motors.

5. Scott Strimple

I have long sense removed any of the tertiary electronics. What your seeing is straight battery to movi.

6. Scott Strimple

Here is a pic of the movi to battery

Attached Files:

7. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Scott,

Have you attempted to "Restore factory Cal." from the SETTINGS drop down? Also, you may find that re-flashing the firmware will rectify the issue.
    After that I can only suspect that there may be damage to the hardware in the CPU from the powering harness to the tertiary accessories. The flashing green LEDs indicate a bootup failure or that one of the MoVI wiring harnesses isn't properly seated/installed.

Greetings,
    Adam

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

9. Scott Strimple

Thanks Gary been in contact with them as well... Kinda at an impasse
    I've setup several Movi units 10 and 5 for people and have powered the video
    Tx thru the Movi battery ... Never had any issue before this.

One question for you M5 gurus ... I'm told to check the connections of the motor wires
    And while I see on the M10 how easy the plugs may become dislodged on the m5 it appears
    that FF improved the design. When I pull the plastic cover to chk the motor wires I see
    That the plug is in and the wire snakes around and makes it virtually
    Impossible to tug on it and unplug it. Do u guys really think that it's
    Possible on an m5 to unplug the motor wires easily?

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Scott I would ask the support desk. The new cable routing on the M5 was specifially a design decision to reduce/eliminate the cables coming loose. Did they suggest that you remove the motor covers and try to unplug/replug the cables?

11. Scott Strimple

I pulled the cover off of the Pan motor as Rich had an idea that maybe I had unplugged that cable when changing out the aft leg on the MR kit. I did pull the cover off however I did not see where the cable had even come close to becoming dislodged so I closed it up. I am gonna open it up again and re seat the motor plugs and see if that works ... if not then I think the movi will have a trip back to Bothel.

12. Scott Strimple

Ok the fix is in. While all of the M5 motor connectors have been beefed up from the M10 so that the motor control plugs don't come loose at the motors... there is a potential weak spot where the pan motor wire goes into the drive controller housing. I popped the cover off the drive controller and found the Pan motor control wire unplugged. Rich at FF suspected this wire was the culprit however I was only checking at the motor. Be very mindful of this wire when removing the rear support to install the rear MR leg as that is no doubt when I had the connection fail. Thanks for all of the helping ideas guys. IMG_0406.jpg

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice detective work, Captain! :) Thanks for posting a good image of what the folks should be looking for.

Andy.

14. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

15. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Wow had the same problem as Scott this afternoon. I am after having a below average week this little fix made my day!!

Thanks to the forum I can now go have a beer and relax over the weekend!!;)

Scott Strimple likes this.
  16. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

I experienced the 3 green light flash intermittently yesterday all afternoon. Power-up, wait, everything steady, then the three green lights would flash. Cursed. Powered-down. Power-up, same sequence. Would do this a few times, then finally system would power-up fine.

I'll check the pan connection per above, but this sounds different given the intermittent nature of what's going on.

17. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Derek, did you find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same problem with you.

My Movi M5 started to give three flashing lights suddenly. After power cycling it many many times, it starts to work. Beginning of the day, it takes lots of time (the last time it was almost two hours, previous day 30 minutes) to make it work. Once it starts working, it boots up in a few power cycles.

Freefly support desk is yet to answer this issue. All cables are solid in their places.

18. Derek Cooper

Sounds like you need to send your unit in for repair.

Are you using the Controller or Spectrum TX for remote pan / tilt? Make sure they are set to Majestic mode when powering-up. Also make sure the camera is near balanced state when you power on.

If the batteries are cold, I find that interferes.

We still get the flashing occasionally, we just make sure we follow the above guidance and power off / on a number of times and eventually it boots up properly.

19. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I think that will go to repair, yes. I have been using Movi M5 since it came out to market, so my powering up procedure is just the same and as it should be. The problem just started over night.

I also suspected with the battery but, it does the same even totaly new other 4s batteries.

The weird stuff about this issue is, it takes plenty of time to make the gimbal work. Once it works, it keeps working without issues during the whole day. The day finishes, I put the gimbal to our office. In the morning, we go to shooting and we have the same ritual again: We need have to power cycle many many times to make it work. Once it works, it keeps working whole day. ( I change batteries many times during the day).

20. Derek Cooper

Likely returning it will resolve the problem for you - I've had to send gear back to Freefly and it always comes back quickly working as it should. Good luck!