/dist/images/branding/favicon

3 Axis on a Vulcan Mantis - Lock pan position when flying alone ?

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Dave Polson, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Dave Polson

Dave Polson New Member

Everything works well and gives great results.

I have one question, in take off / fixed mode the Gimbal is stailised for Roll and Tilt and works fine, when I fly on my own I would like the pan to be locked, the Gimbal drops the camera 5 degrees automatically - Perfect but the pan is free to move, has anyone found a way to lock the pan in this mode (power the servo ???)

Thanks
    Dave

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave:
    Welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Secondly, from what I understand from others, the approved technique is to unplug the pan servo and use velcro straps wrapped around one or more gimbal booms to hold the gimbal to the motor booms so it cannot rotate by itself.

Thanks
    Andy

3. Dave Polson

Dave Polson New Member

Thanks, that is what I planned to do short term but I think it must be possible to have this function added to the radian as this must be a bit of a pain for many people.
    My 3 axis is setup completely independent, own RX, Video TX and power supply so it will rotate 360 Degree rotations as many times as you want LH or RH great when I have a camera operator.

I have changed my name, sorry about that.
    Dave

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dave:
    Thanks for the name change! :)

I think the reason for the Velcro strap approach is to be absolutely certain that the gimbal doesn't rotate -- the servos are pretty strong, but Velcro is stronger. As you say, with the 3-Axis, the gimbal is completely independent -- and even the best sensors/servos drift so you'd find that without Velcro the gimbal would drift out of alignment.

Andy.