/dist/images/branding/favicon

3 axis max width

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Thomas Lebon, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Thomas Lebon

Thomas Lebon New Member

Hi !
    Before buying a Cinestar 8 with a 3 axis Gimbal, I'd like to know if it is possible to increase the max width of the gimbal. For example: using longer booms to increase that width. I want to set up a Flir Thermal Camera (201mm width)
    Thanks a lot !!
    Regards,

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Thomas.

If you are using a 3-Axis gimbal with Radian sensors and servos, then yes, you can increase the width by using a longer front and rear cross-boom. Just eyeballing it, you could easily add on 5cm at each side, 10cm overall.

You will need to pay attention to keeping the gimbal/camera well balanced, though -- the increased width will apply more leverage and the roll servo will have to work harder if there's any imbalance.

Which model of Flir are you going to fly, just out of curiosity?

Andy.

3. Thomas Lebon

Thomas Lebon New Member

A flir T440 bx.
    Is it the same with the Movi M10 ?
    Thanks a lot for this quick answer !!!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sadly, no. The MōVI has a metal cross boom at the rear -- I just measured the gap at the front of the MōVI where the camera mounts with some Mitutoyo calipers -- the maximum width at the front is, wouldn't you know it, 199.23mm.

However, if you were to invert and swap the side clamps side to side on the MōVI (which normally sit on top of the cross booms where the camera mounts) you could get 202.96mm.

I suspect that you need to arrange a meeting with the Flir camera and a real live MōVI so you could experiment. I realize that could be tough on Reunion Island.

For what it's worth, I'm in Portland, Oregon -- and Flir's headquarters are just a few km south of here.

Andy.

5. Thomas Lebon

Thomas Lebon New Member

Good news the Flir is 201mm ... 202.96mm would be just enough ! ;)
    I would have like to arrange such a meeting, but too far away ... Far, but such a nice place to make films in Reunion !
    If you have this occasion to put a flir on a Movi, and see how it works, please let me know !
    Thanks again for these informations !