/dist/images/branding/favicon

3 Axis Gimbal Inverted/upside down

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Mike Scheers, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mike Scheers

Mike Scheers New Member

Dear Freefly,

Im currently looking into the possibility of buying a Cinestar 3axis gimbal. But for my working conditions it would be ideal if the gimbal could also be used upside down. I am also planning on using the Radian's for stabilization.

The required use would be mainly flying underneath a multirotor. And secondly using it a as a stabilized head on top of a steadycam.

Im really interested if this is at all possible with this setup.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike the Radian's have a right side up orientation. If you invert the gimbal from it's typical orientation under a copter then you would need to remove them and rotate them 180 degrees so that they are 'right side up'. While it could be done it's not likely something that you would find feasible to do on a regular basis.

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Radians on a steadycam would probably not be as good as the steadycam by itself.

4. Mike Scheers

Mike Scheers New Member

Thank you Gary for getting back to me so quickly. I guess it would indeed be quite a hassle to re-position the Radians each time. But for the main part of the operation the gimbal will be suspended beneath the Multirotor. So maby 5-10 times a year i have to use the gimbal inverted. I think it would be feasible this way.

Tim, generally speaking you are correct. But our use case for the steadycam is a bit special as well. The camera(s) will be extended from the main steadycam to be positioned above the steadycam operators head. Meaning that the you can't see if your camera is completely level. The main use for the steadycam will be negating the bounce effect of walking with a camera and the gimbal will provide additional horizon correction.