2 issues. Any info.

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Bryan Moore, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Bryan Moore

Bryan Moore New Member

2 things we have going on.

1. Wireless.. I literally need to touch my phone to the antenna on alta for it to work even then it still kicks me off.
    Tried multiple devices.

2. CRAZYYYYYY shaking in position mode. I know there was a bulletin sent out to turn the vertical gain down to 12. Ours is already at that. Turned it to 10. Still doing it. I would rather not slam this thing into the ground so any info on the gains would be great.. Payload is m15 and Epic.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Was it flying ok with manual and height hold? If you flew today the GPS signal was really bad with solar storms. How is it flying without the M15 in position hold?

What gains/settings do you have on the Configuration->Aircraft Dynamics->Position page?

Not sure of the answer on the wireless. I've tried iPhone, iPad and Android and working fine out at least 30 feet or so sitting on the ground.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bryan here's the Kp Index for today. Anything over 4 is considered bad karma for GPS hold.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 7.43.29 PM.png

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Bryan,

1. That sounds like a hardware issue? Is your Antenna Ok? Connected? Damaged?

2. Is it a vertical shake? If so reduce vertical stiffness. Can you post a video? It always makes troubleshooting easier

T

5. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Our experiences are that the WiFi range is not great, and every time that it drops off we have to go back to settings and re-join the network. It would be nice if we could stay in the app and it re-connected automatically.

We had the same shaking in position mode. It was quite dramatic.
    What we did was change out the green o-rings for black.
    I also updated the M10 firmware to the latest release, and did a full tune on a stand. Then, I knocked all of the gains down a fair bit.
    On the next test flight, with a C300 and M10, there was a dramatic improvement. There was still a tiny bit of shake, so I reduced the pan gain even more, and that removed the shake.
    On review, the footage is now stable in position hold.

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

One thing you can do is set the ALTA wifi as the preferred network, then it should reconnect above all other networks.

On my ALTA it very much depends on the device. My iPhone doesnt have great range, but my iPad connects even at huge distances.

7. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

So, we swapped out the M10 for the M15 and everything was better.

Position hold was stable.

The height hold is perfect. There was no shaking or vibration.

From my position as a DP it is a terrific tool. I spend a lot of time in a full size helicopter operating the Shotover, and with height hold activated and flown by a good pilot (Josh Dunn) it feels very similar to the consistent lines flown in the full size machine.

MIke Magee likes this.
  8. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Thats a hell of a compliment Ben comparing our little creation with a full size heli and Shotover gimbal!

I agree with you, when I first flew the Synapse I could not get over how awesome the height hold was....such a helpful shot making tool

9. Fabien Deregel

Hi,

if you encounter shaking or vibrations even in hovering, the very first thing to check before even tweaking the various gains the Alta App is first to check your payload setup, aka gimbal. A wrong gimbal setting ( mostly to high gains for aerial use) will generate some "bumps" transmitted to the frame, FC will reply by adjusting position and sending back a "bump" to the payload, and stiffness of the dampers will either make it better or worse...

A good way to test you gimbal gains and see how it can affect the overall performances is to engage straight descents in which the machine flies in it's own turbulences...

Have nice flights :)
    Fabien