/dist/images/branding/favicon

2 Axis Converted into a MoVi?

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Chris Daidone, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

So I might be pulling the trigger on a CS6 with a 2 axis gimble. The owner had quadcopter set up his gimble to be utilized both on and off the copter (See attached images).

I intend to fly a 5DM3 on the CS6. Having never actually seen a Cinestar 2-Axis in person, my question is this... Off the copter would it be possible this would handle the weight of a 1DC in this configuration?

Thanks,
    Chris $_57.JPG $_57-1.JPG

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

First of all, we require folks to use their real names here.
    Secondly, the CS6 in its stock configuration might be pushing its limits to fly a 5D Mark III as far as payload goes. However, if it has upgraded power and motor systems, it’s certainly feasible.
    Lastly, in order to make something that works anywhere nearly as well as a MōVI, you’ll have to discard 75% of what’s on that gimbal right now.
    I don’t mean to sound harsh, but a lot of folks enter this field with misplaced expectations.

3. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Yeah didn't see that at first... Just fixed the name deal. Yeah it is upgraded to handle the extra payload. Your not harsh, and I don't have any misplaced expectations. I understand fully the capabilities of the MoVi, and I probably should have put "similar to" in the title. However with your knowledge, in this configuration, off the copter, could it handle the weight of a 1DC and be justified as a "steady-cam" of sorts?

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Do you plan to go to a brushless motor/controller setup for the gimbal, or use it as-is with the Radians and the servo-driven belts?

There are folks who have made the Radians work with the 1DC, but there’s more than a little voodoo involved. And it also depends on the glass...the 1DC is pretty heavy on its own. If you have some big glass on it (and/or anything else like follow focus, etc), it’s probably going to fail with the Radians and Freefly servos.

If you decide to go the brushless route, the sky’s the limit. You can strap some really beastly motors on the brushless gimbals and they can fly some big iron. The MōVI MR10 is rated to 10lbs of payload, of course, but there are people who have built brushless rigs to handle a lot more than that. Not quite as elegant as the MōVI, but certainly more economical.

Chris Daidone likes this.
  5. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Thanks for all the info. Given the points made, I think I should not only pass on this, but turn my foucs to a CS8.

6. Ryan Sheets

Ryan Sheets Member

I would like to hear more about this.

Is anyone using their gimbal (Not the Movi) off the heli for hand held stabilization? Would be a huge benefit in my mind if this was possible.

7. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member