/dist/images/branding/favicon

2 axis Cinestar Gimbal w/radian single pilot setup

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Scott Strimple, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Scott Strimple

I am setting up a 2 axis cinestar gimbal with radians for a chap who has a DJI S800 with Wookong flt cntrl.
    The transmitter is a Futaba T8FG Super (8/14chnl) and the recver is a R6208SB. Currently he has 7 channels used thru the S-Bus. He wants to shoot photos and has told me that he only needs to be able to adjust the tilt feature. I can't seem to get the contraption to function the way he wants it too and take advantage of the Radian's. Any direction would be appreciated.

Currently:

- Receiver SBus into Wookong with 7 channels spoken for.
    - Per Tabb's advice in a separate thread... there is a cable run from chnl 8 on the receiver to the tilt radian...This has been mapped to the transmitter rotory knob LD for control.
    - Tilt Radian
    Port 1 - cable from receiver chnl 8
    Port 2 - empty
    Port 3 cable to Roll Radian
    Port 4 servo

- Roll Radian
    Port 1 - cable from Tilt Radian
    Port 2 - empty
    Port 3 - empty
    Port 4 - servo

In this setup the unit functions the way we want it to with one exception ... the power is coming from the Main S800 Battery thru the Futaba receiver and we would like to power the gimbal from a separate source.

Anyone have a solution to allow us to power the gimbal/radians from a separate pwr source and still have control from the receiver chnl 8 for tilt functionality?

Thanks so much.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Scott you might try removing the pin for power wire from the Futaba receiver and then applying power through port two. Make sure that the power is 5v. And absolutely nothing more than 6v if you are using Freefly servos.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Scott:
    To provide a separate power source to the gimbal and the radians, just make sure that both power sources share a common ground -- that is, connect the two power supplies ground wires together -- and then make sure that there are no cables between the devices on battery 1 than have the middle (red/+ve) wire on any servo connectors that connect to any devices on battery 2.

Either remove the red/+ve wire from the three pin connectors at each end -- so the only wires between battery 1 devices and battery 2 devices are the signal wire and ground. That isolates the two battery systems. Having the common ground between the two batteries provides a reference level so that the "signal" wires (usually white or orange) are sensed appropriately.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gary beat me to it! :)

Andy.

5. Scott Strimple

Thanks Gary and Andy... I did make a signal only wire from the receiver to the Radian... but I didn't think to connect the grnd wire. (I may or may not have been blonde before my hair all fell out) I'll try connecting the grnd wire and see if that reveals better results.

So check my thought process here:
    Tilt Radian
    Port 1 - 2 wire (sig and grnd) cable from the Futaba recver
    Port 2 - batter connector from BEC 5v
    Port 3 - connection to port 1 of Roll Radian
    Port 4 - Tilt servo

Roll Radian
    Port 1 - cable from Tilt radian port 3
    Port 2 - empty
    Port 3 - empty
    Port 4 - Roll servo

Thanks again for your help

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Looks good. Curious as to why you don't want to run it from the Futaba directly.

7. Scott Strimple

Not sure I understand? I'm driving the tilt slew feature thru chnl 8 on the futaba... and the stabilization from the radians vise the wookong.

He wants the power for the gimbal and the video xmitter to be separate from the main power of the aircraft.

Is there something I'm missing or a better way? I'm open to any other techniques.

Thanks Gary

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

No nothing wrong. Just that with a 2 axis not much reason other than voltage to pull a separate power circuit since you only have one receiver.

Not sure that the Wookong figures into the equation. If it has output for a servo based system it isn't being used for gimbal stabilization if you have the Radians. But my Wookong knowledge is limited.

9. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I run my bird off 4S and my gimbal off a small 3S battery running through a 5A BEC. I also have a wire running from my receiver into the radian with the red wire removed. This setup my gimbal runs perfectly even without the common ground, im why it is so important for having the common ground when running it the way i do works without a problem?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You don't need a common ground between the flight LiPo and the gimbal LiPo, Paul. But you do need to have a common ground for the gimbal systems (e.g. Radians, servos, and FPV video downlink).

Certainly, if it's working -- then you don't need a common ground!
    Andy.