/dist/images/branding/favicon

$15k Movi and no iOS - scratching my head....

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Bryan Harvey, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

In my world EVERYONE uses an iOS device.

Seems a no-brainer to have launched Movi with iOS GUI support. Seems time would have been better spent on iOS than Mac OS - nobody wants to be lugging a laptop around in the field.

So now I gotta go purchase a another tablet because Freefly support ignores queries on this board as to when iOS support might become available. Why can't they at least give us some information? Next week, next year, never?

If Teredek did it, why cant Freefly?

Jack Klink likes this.
  2. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Bryan, Apple has the most complex and time consuming app approval processes. Try asking them a year ago when the Mac Pro tower was coming out.....
    I'm pretty sure the app is made and works but can not go live until apple gives Freefly the green light.

I think I remember hearing sometime 1st quarter..

I wouldn't wait on Freefly at this point.. Go buy a nexus 7 $149 for a refurbished..
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171188888660?lpid=82
    http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tablet-7-Inch-Black/dp/B00DVFLJDS

3. Senthil Nathan

Well that kinda sucks for a 15k product.

4. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

agreed it does suck.. we needed to adjust the motors in the middle of production one day. It was a medium size set with maybe 30 people.. No one had a android.. no one.. Everyone had iPhones or just plan "non smart" phones.. I was like you have to be kidding me! Unfortunately iPhones are almost standard when it comes to the film biz. Luckily we found a mac laptop from the DIT guy that had blue tooth and we connected to that.. Pain in the butt though..

5. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

In reality any MōVI going out on a professional set should have its own tablet/computer for tuning.

With that said, I have a nexus 7 tablet that I have packed with my kit. It cost me $125 on craigslist. I am much happier sending that out onto a set than sending a $400+ iPad.

6. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

I put my vote in for iOS too.

7. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

yeah I got the Nexus 7 too. Was interested to try an Android device anyway. Well, after a few weeks playing with the Nexus 7, all I gotta say is Apple is still WAY ahead of the competition in hardware and especially software. No comparison.

8. Prithvi Gill

Prithvi Gill New Member

We need a iPad version. The Apple software doesn't display charts.

9. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

have not looked at the charts yet. what are they used for?

10. Prithvi Gill

Prithvi Gill New Member

Found the chart function under window. But we still need an iPad version.

11. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Just had another shoot today, in the middle of a forest. Customer was wondering why I carried an iPad and an old netbook with me. It indeed feels rather weird.

Anybody from Freefly willing to give the growing community an update?

12. Prithvi Gill

Prithvi Gill New Member

Charts are good to see the actual attitude on each axis. They are great to fine tune for aerial shots. They show Radio input, Motor intensity...

13. Senthil Nathan

For those of you guys arguing about android being cheaper.... Those of us whom already have an iOS device (that means a lot of us) do not find it CHEAP to buy another 200 dollar piece of hardware exclusively for this. Makes sense on our part right? Freefly needs to listen to its customer's needs and act accordingly. Cause they advertise that the MOVI experience is the best.... software (mind you it plays a big part in the fine tuning) is also part of that experience isn't it? If that is not available on a large platform like iOS... then i would not call the experience complete

14. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

As an iOS developer myself, I know that Apple's approval process can be troublesome, but it's not anything that should delay this process greatly. As a purchaser of the M5, my budgets are low. Purchasing an additional tablet and then having to carry it around along with my iPad is not ideal. I hope they can get an iOS app out soon. This way I can use my iPad with the Teradek Clip AND the Movi.

15. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

There may be a logical explanation for all this. Has anyone asked Freefly directly about this concern?

16. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

I spoke to someone at FreeFly and this is what they told me regarding an iPad app:

"It's coming... be patient" Then they proceeded to explain the Apple app approval process (which was mentioned above)

I owned an iPad before I owned a MoVI. While it would have saved me $150 (the cost of a first gen Nexus 7) to have the app available at launch, I'm glad I have a dedicated tablet for the MoVI. If you ever rent your MoVI to a production or someone, the tablet should go with it. You don't want your personal information on the tablet and you might go through iPad withdrawals with it gone (I know I would)

Two notes to FreeFly:

1. I'd like to be able to re-bind the remote with the Android tablet. Anyone know if this will be possible in an app update? If not, I might buy an older Dell netbook with Windows 7 so I can do so.

2. Making the app work on iPhones and Android smart phones would be awesome also. I've been able to install the android app on my android phone but the app doesn't adjust for the screen size. I'm not sure why the app doesn't scale to a phone.

3. Running around with a Spektrum remote and android tablet is a bit clunky. Maybe combine them someday?

Jack Klink likes this.
  17. Mike Isler

Mike Isler New Member

iOS restricts apps from using Bluetooth with arbitrary devices, other than those with standard Bluetooth profiles (A2DP streaming audio, handsfree, etc See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647 ). My guess is that FreeFly can't implement the MōVI as an HID device, or shoehorn it into an existing profile (either technically or because of Apple rules). Nike+ is an exception as Nike has a special relationship with Apple. There are other exceptions, but they are large companies that go through an EXTENSIVE and EXPENSIVE approval process. This is worlds different than having an app approved for the App Store.

That's my guess as to what the issue is. Laptops are exempt from those constraints, so MacBookPros and such are no problem...iOS devices are.

Perhaps there's a WiFi-to-Bluetooth gateway/accessory that could come along later to bridge the gap.

EDIT: It's Apple's MFI program I was thinking of:
    https://mfi.apple.com/MFiWeb/getFAQ.action

18. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

19. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike - you nailed it....MFI has caused me many a grey hair!

20. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Next release allows re-bind from tablet and will work on android phone. As for no.3 watch NAB ;)

Mike Vickers likes this.