/dist/images/branding/favicon

14.5V problem

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by frank weigand, Jun 18, 2014.

?

M10 doesn't work with 14.5

1. software

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. weight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. frank weigand

frank weigand New Member

Hallo
    I use a M10 with a black Magic Production Camera 4K.
    So I tuck the original Battery away and take a V-Mount and a power distributer on his place
    the problem I have got now if the battery is not fresh and the Voltage goes under 14.5V the M10 will switch off.
    But it should run from 9-18V
    thanks Frank

Attached Files:

• M10.jpg
      M10.jpg
      File size:
      279.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Frank welcome to the forums. Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/.

The MoVI's are designed for a 4S LiPo battery. There was a post from Freefly that there is a battery safety circuit in the MoVI that will cutoff the motors to protect the batteries from damage. I think that is at about 14V but will fluctuate with the load on the gimbal and the types of movements being made.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

MōVI batteries are 16.8VDC when fully charged (that’s a ‘4S’ battery), and are considered fully-discharged as they get close to 14V or so. That’s to protect the battery from damage. I don’t think you can change that. Who told you that you could run a MōVI off of a V-mount battery at 9-18VDC?

4. frank weigand

frank weigand New Member

V-Mount batteries are also 16.8VDC when fully charged.
    Look at the Specifications of Freefly

Attached Files:

5. frank weigand

frank weigand New Member

Hallo
    So it is not possible to run a Mövi with Li-Ion just with Lipo ??????
    My problem is when Li-Ion V-mount goes under 14.5V the Mövi switches off.
    Changed software to 3.7 because of:

Improved low temperature battery voltage cutoff
    A voltage cutoff adjustment was made to allow the MōVI to continue to operate where it previously may shutdown such as in cold weather due to battery temperature.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Frank the MoVI will shutdown at 'low' voltage. I don't have the exact voltage but it is in the range of 14.5v. It looks like the clip that you pulled was from the original marketing materials prior to the M10 launch. Unfortunately the final design settled on the 4S battery and the information about the 3S is incorrect. I'll pass that information along to the Freefly team. I can see now where that information triggered your question.

LiIon as used in the V-lock batteries is fine but below the minimum voltage the MoVI will shutdown.

frank weigand likes this.
  7. frank weigand

frank weigand New Member

I still have no answer.
    It is quite normal that you will replace the original battery and use a V-Mount to power the camera, follow focus, monitor and the mövi with just one battery.
    Is it possible to change the problem which isn`t just my ( i spoke with other owners ) by software?

8. frank weigand

frank weigand New Member

hallo
    did someone try to stabilize the DC to 15V with something like a muRata DC-DC Converter
    UQQ-15/7-Q12P-C

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Frank it isn't a software issue. Different devices need different power requirements. You can do DC-DC converters if you find one that meets the voltage AND the amperage requirements. But easy to make a mistake and fry some of your components.

10. Daniell P. Ashby

Daniell P. Ashby New Member

Have anybody used 5s Li-ion battery? they come at 18,5v. Or will that kill the Movi?

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Why would you do that? I strongly suspect the MōVI would get unhappy. It's carefully tuned to 4S (14-16V). Increasing the voltage isn't likely to get any better performance, and could very well destroy it.

12. Daniell P. Ashby

Daniell P. Ashby New Member

Because Li-ion batteries can handle the cold much better than Lipo batteries. I live in Norway. The Li-ion batteries i use are 3.7V per piece. In 4s the total voltage becomes too low for the Movi. It turns itself off after a short time when the Volt is too low. Soo.. If anybody know`s? Can it handle 18,5v? :)

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniell: Send an email to support@freeflysystems.com before you try a higher voltage battery. The MōVI makes a very expensive fuse (or space heater). :)

Andy

Steve Maller likes this.