/dist/images/branding/favicon

12V D-Tap - No Power?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Andrew Pulaski, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Andrew Pulaski

Andrew Pulaski New Member

So I had my Pro now for about 2 months and I actually was able to use it for the first time today! unfortunately though Im not getting any power from the 12V D-tap connection directly behind the power button.

Has anyone had this issue?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew, it depends on what you're trying to plug in to that port, but the new Beta Firmware addresses an issue with it.

My understanding is that it's a 2A rated auto-reset fuse, but some accessories, like a few wireless transmitters by Teradek and Paralinx, drew a bunch of power on start up, then settled back down. Freefly made it so the fuse was a bit more flexible, a 'soft-start' capability, according to the release notes. I'm now able to use that port for my Tomahawk where it wouldn't work before.

If you're willing to use Beta Firmware (it's been working very well for me so far), then maybe upload it to the Movi Pro and the Mimic and see if it helps.

3. Andrew Pulaski

Thanks Graham - Looks like im going to have to try it out!

4. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

You find more information about the MōVI Pro Beta firmware here!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  5. Henry Schroeder

Henry Schroeder New Member

Same issue with 2 different mōvi pros

6. Andrew Pulaski

Successfully updated both the pro and mimic with beta firmware. I did actually get power out of the 12v D-tap port up top but then all of a sudden it just keeps dying.

Im using a Paralinx Tomahawk HD-SDI transmitter.

Any thoughts on this?

7. Connor O'Brien

Connor O'Brien New Member

So my Teradek Bolt Pro 300 powers just fine on that 12v d-tap port in the back, but I've been told that the Tomahawk requires more flush power in order to power on.

Just did a job where I powered an Alexa Mini, Preston MDR, and Cinetape all off the Movi Pro batteries. Only issue I found (and this has less to do with the Movi), is if the camera was powered on before the MDR, I would get a low voltage warning light on the MDR. If the MDR powered on before the camera, no issues. Just like any battery, you will find it's limits. Plenty of solutions - flying a v-mount battery, using an old LiPo to female d-tap, etc.

Graham Futerfas likes this.