/dist/images/branding/favicon

0 volt warning

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Scott Stemm, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

My system was down for a while waiting on new servos for my radians. I also ordered a replacement smart osd to install. Now when I plug a charged battery ( tried 3 different ones) to the CS8 it does the normal start up beeps with the prop spin then the transmitter DX8 starts beeping 0 volts. Where do I begin on this one. The only cables that I messed with were to hook up the osd and a FPV camera. FPV will be run from a separate battery so not hooked up to system except the video to the osd input. I have not hooked up the battery to the fPV yet so nothing there.

2. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

I had something similar this morning... Only the other way around. I was seeing the voltage on my DX8 as correct (the telemetry Voltage that is), but I was getting 0 mAh reading on the OSD. I'm pretty sure what happened was that one of the cables connecting the Flight controller to the OSD (which in turn is connected to the Nav and the GPS) came loose. It was actually hanging in there, half way connected. I unplugged that then plugged it back in, and I had a reading on the mAh.
    So I would check all the connections, especially the one between the Flight controller and the Telemetry module for the RX8 (if that's how you have it set up). It may just be a bad reading.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Cris can you clarify your wiring setup? You said you are going FC to OSD to Navi? Which OSD? If it is the SmartOSD that's an unusual arrangement. Normally it is FC - > Navi - > OSD

4. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

@Gary Sorry, that's what i meant. Yes, it is the SmartOSD, sitting in the same tower as the Nav and the GPS on boom 1.

5. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Checked the cables and all connected. I didn't have my osd running yet as I just installed it and was starting the CS up to test. Pulled the cable off to test again and same problem without OSD

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I had that same cable come loose in flight -- I suspect I had nudged it when I was messing with the microSD card.
    Good news: the copter still flies, bad news, the Smart OSD freezes.

Andy.

7. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

@Andy I was lucky and noticed mine while still on the ground. Good to know it still flies tho. I bet that was quite scary, huh?

@Scott It is possible the whole telemetry module for the DX8 has gone nuts. Are you sending anything else thru it (like temp or rpm)? If those work, then the problem is elsewhere. If they don't, I'd say it's the module. I personally don't know a different way to test the telemetry module to make sure it works. Hopefully someone else will have an idea for you.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Cris: It was only scary when I realized what had happened! At first glance the 6 pin ribbon cable connector on the FC board appeared ok, but on closer inspection it had backed out too far. I'd updated the firmware and hadn't yet put a dab of hot glue on the top of the connector and the header on the FC board. It's there now!

Andy.

9. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Andy - hot glue, got it. I never had glue on to begin with. I will after today.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Side note learned on the net somewhere: To remove a blob of hot glue, apply isopropyl alcohol to it -- it appears to wick under the hot glue and break the seal.

Andy.

11. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

The only thing I am getting is volts on the DX8 and its not liking what it's seeing. The telemetry has to be working or the mk system would be beeping on the copter for lak of signal

12. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Found the problem as I knew it was something simple. Wire loose

13. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

I may be wrong, but the telemetry module and the TX signal are different. I at least have two different things on my copter: the telemetry module that came with the DX8, as well as a satellite receiver that receive input form the DX8 transmitter. I believe the copter only beeps if you don't have signal between the satellite receiver and the DX8, regardless of what the telemetry box has to say about it. But I might be way off.

14. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Glad you found it! (and it turns out you had the same problem as me... loose cable, just maybe not the same cable)

15. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Depends if you count the one loose in the area that sits on my shoulders