/dist/images/branding/favicon

One Battery or Two?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Andrew Goodwin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me how how I can look at the GPX data to determine battery efficiency? I would like to start comparing 2 batteries to 1. I see many people referring to their GPX files for battery efficiency but I'm not quite sure on what data you are looking at?

2. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Firstly, do you have a micro SD card on you Navi-Ctrl?

[​IMG]

3. Dave King

Yes and I have recorded data for one battery.

4. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

So you probably know how to use the MK GPX tool, In my case I use it to see if the battery holds its voltage under heavy amp draws.

5. Dave King

I have poked around with it and used it yes but I see a lot of people compare BL temperatures like here
    I'm assuming people are trying to see if that 2 batteries make the motors run not as hard?

6. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Well actually, if you use 2 batteries your adding weight to the rig, but longer flights, so with the MK tool you can check how much amp is drawn and temp of each motor.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh looking forward to some feedback on the eFuel. Which charger are you using? With the Hyperion 720iDuo3 and the PRC500 power converter I can charge 2 8000 packs at the same time but only at 1C. Trying to interpret the Hyperion manual it looks like it handles 500 watts per port. So with a larger power supply you might be able to do 2 at 2C or 4 at 1C on the eFuel.

Which brings up a good question for those EE's out there. If it says 500 watts per port and Watts = Volts x Amps which set of volts to do the calculation for 500 watts? The voltage into the Hyperion, the voltage of the battery packs or something else? Looks like it might be input voltage to the Hyperion from the description on the website:

In order to provide all 500W per channel (1000W total), the Super DUO needs 24V-28V of input voltage but can naturally also be operated on lower input voltages (from 11V).

8. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey Gary,
    I have done some charging with the new eFuel power supply... It's awesome! I have it supplying my 720iDuo3 with 24v and was able to charge my 5000mAh at 20a per side (40 amp total). The batteries can handle up to 8C charge so I was still only half that. I won't normally charge them at this rate but wanted to see what it could do. It took 12min to go from 18v to store voltage on my 5s batteries. I will see what I can do a full charge in sometime soon (waiting for it to stop raining so I can fly). I also have the wires coming to so I can try out some paracharging. I believe with this power supply I could charge all 8 of my batteries (4x 5000mAh 5s and 4x 8000mAh 5s) at the same time all at 1C charge rate (the 8000s will be just under the 1C charge rate however). Should be nice though! :D

Josh

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

That sounds like a Beeeautiful thing.

10. Josh Lambeth

Ill do a review once I get my other cables. :D

Josh

11. Dave King

I am understanding this correctly that you can charge two batteries on 720I super duo at the same time and then it can balance the batteries the same? Or does this mean that with the balance connectors on each side it can get the batteries close?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave:
    My understanding is that in SYNC mode the Superduo 720 does indeed do what you think -- in charges two similar batteries and balances them for use as a two-pack.

Andy.

13. Dave King

Sync mode? I'm not familiar with that, I will research. Thanks for the info.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It's in the SuperDuo alleged "manual." You'll have to read it very carefully because information about it is sprinkled through the "manual."

Andy.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh which paraboard did you buy?

16. Josh Lambeth

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

18. Dave King

The more I think about it the more I think 4 smaller 4C batteries, instead of two larger 8000 batteries is the way to go for redundancy. Personally I don't care about flight time, I want redundancy in the air. I don't care about purchasing a ton of batteries or the pain it would take about charging them.

Take a look at this little comparison I did. Here's 3 in flight scenarios that shows one of the batteries is under performing or to the point that its bad but it's unbeknown to the pilot in flight or on location.
    Situation 1 - 2 batteries in parallel, 1 of the batteries has something wrong with it
    Situation 2 - 3 batteries in parallel, 1 of the batteries has something wrong with it.
    Situation 3 - 4 batteries in parallel, 1 of the batteries has something wrong with it.

battery voltage.jpg

Is there anyone running a 4 battery setup? What size 4C lipo would allow 4 in parallel with the stock battery tray?

19. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You could certainly give it a try, although I'll caution you that the 4->1 parallel battery harness is going to introduce some weight and a certain degree of risk with respect to complexity and failure points. But, for example, the Zippy 40C 4000mA batteries weigh 525g versus the Zippy 30C 8000mA batteries which weigh 1014g, so the weight issue may not be a problem.

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I have seen photos of four batter setups on some Droidworx heavy lifters. Not sure of the power distribution but seem to remember that it wasn't into all one buss. Split buss, something like two to each Herkules board. It seems to be very uncommon. And don't remember seeing any CS series in that configuration.