/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery Charging?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by T.Diaz, Aug 28, 2012.

1. T.Diaz

T.Diaz New Member

Hi All, i'm now up to >10 QuadroPower 6200 Lipo's and its time to upgrade my charger. I know this subject is beaten to death in other forums but wanted to get the wisdom of our community relative efficient charging workflow.

My current set up is a hyperion EOS 0606i AC/DC and its slow I know ;) However, not sure I want to go to a pure DC only set up because i'm a fan of the AC/DC all in one small form factor, and the light weight when traveling. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Brian Bills

Brian Bills New Member

My favorite setup is a Hyperion Super Duo with two PSUs from www.feathermerchantrc.com tied in series to give 24v.

This is an awesome setup and you'll wonder how you ever lived with less than two channels on a charger ;)

3. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

We use a X4 from Hitec, they also have the same one with built in Ac/Dc, not the fastest or fanciest,t but get it done on a compact pack

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I chose to go with a "parallel architecture." Four Progressive PRC-500's, and four Hyperion SuperDuo. With ten QC6200's I tend to charge them at 1C unless there's a time crunch, in which case, I'll go to 2C.

The ultimate on-location tentative plan is to have either a Honda 2000i generator driving one or more of the PRC-500's or use deep-cycle marine batteries to drive the Hyperions (and the generator to charge those).

Andy.

5. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

The 2000i is perfect for charging in remote places. Lately I've been charging my TP packs at 3C to get them back into the loop quickly. I'm pretty old school and back in the days it was beaten into my head that you should ALWAYS charge LiPo's at 1C. Which I pretty much always did until recently. It seems many current generation packs now are rated at 5C charge rate. Man, it sure kicks ass to have a pack recharged in 30 minutes. :D

nick

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The other advantage to the Honda 2000i is you can gang a pair of them together and get 4KW of power -- and have a backup genny in case one of them goes paws up. Any data on whether 2C charging (which is all I can get out of the Super Duo) really does shorten Lipo life?

Andy.

7. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Andy, I have not done 2~3C charging long enough to be able to say for sure. But thus far, with around 100 charge cycles, they seem to be happy as clams and continue to deliver consistent performance as when new. Considering they are rated to 5C rates and I'm only doing half that I think it's a good, safe compromise.