/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta 6 Questions

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Joshua Milligan, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Joshua Milligan

Joshua Milligan New Member

You can buy an Alta for pretty cheap these days. Since I already have a MōVI M5 gimbal, I’ve tossed around the idea of picking up an Alta 6 to fly my Sony A1 for commercial work.

Freefly told me that they no longer support the Alta 6. As such, is it a bad move to grab one now in 2022? And if I was to grab one, how would I be able to give it remote ID? Since that will be a requirement soon, I need to make sure that I don’t buy something that can’t be used in 12 months.

Lastly, I have thought about grabbing an Alta that is just the base package. Could someone help me understand everything else I would need in order to be able to have a workable machine?

I’ve had my MōVI since 2015 and have always wanted an Alta for it, but never ended up getting one. I’m currently flying a Mavic 3 Cine and it’s great, but I have some commercial clients I work with on a regular basis who’s aerial shots really need to be done on a heavy lifter using one of my mirrorless cameras or potentially my FX6. The Alta 6 with my MōVI M5 seems like a great option for this. I just want to make sure I know exactly what I need, how much it’s going to cost me and whether it’s a good move in 2022 or not.

Thanks for all your help!

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Alta 6 and 8 are still great machines and do great work. the only problem long term is the maintenance and service/spare parts if something breaks. There are still lots of parts still on the market so if probably would want to buy a spare parts kit and what ever you can buy. they are really low maintenance machines overall.

To add the movi 5 to the alta all will need a aerial kit and a toad in the hole.
    https://store.freeflysystems.com/co...ts/toad-in-the-hole-m4-quick-release-receiver

Looking into the future you may be better off with the astro (its small and can carry the sony camera) the X is a big machine. i am hoping freefly comes up with something that is in between these two this year